Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowing Down, Unable To Connect To Printer, No Outbound Pop, Etc.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 working girl

working girl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

re: Windows XP Home Edition Power Pack 2; Sony Vaio Intel Pentium (2-3 yrs old). Mozilla Firefox .

During last few weeks my computer has been slowing to a crawl. Seems to be result of Lucallproxy.exe and LUCOMS~1.EXE processes that start up frequently when I€™m online (Firefox.) The computer speeds up when I end those processes in Task Manager. I have Norton 360 installed (which I hate.) When I tried to get help from Symantec (as if!) their €œchat€� & e-mail with Tech Support would reject my "submit" and take me back to the beginning screen all over again.

I scanned with AVG Anti-spyware & AVG Anti Rootkit, SpyBot, Ad Aware, Spysweeper, and Norton 360 €“ sometimes, if not all the time, in Safe Mode and with System Restore disabled. Found a few seemingly not-too-threatening things and removed all but still had the slowing down problem. Yesterday the Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool ran when I re-installed IE 7.

Today I noticed that my wireless printer is not recognizing my computer and I can€™t send outbound e-mails from my Earthlink POP account (this has been happening last few weeks.) Checked my DSL Wireless Settings but nothing looks changed. Also, Quicken would not download my bank transactions and couldn€™t connect to their Help. I disabled the firewalls but still no printing, no outbound Earthlink. (my gmail works fine.)

Wassup do ya suppose? Next steps? Suggestions? I don't have clue what-is-related-to-what at this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:05 PM

Lucallproxy.exe and LUCOMS~1.EXE are a part of Symantec's security and deals with Live Updates.
How long have you had Norton 360? Did your problems start AFTER you installed it?
My first thought is to tell you that Norton could be the reason your system has slowed down. There is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for me may not work for you. Some people do experience slowdowns not just with Norton, but with McAfee, Trend Micro, and just about every other security program available. Panda slowed my system down to a crawl, and McAfee Antivirus was so bad the only way I could get rid of it was a reinstall of Windows. I suggest that you turn on the Windows firewall and uninstall Norton. After you reboot, see if your computer is running faster. Keep in mind that you won't have an antivirus at this point. All you want to do is find out if your speed is better. Connect to few safe sites, such as Bleeping Computer.
If the computer does run faster, you can install another firewall and antivirus.
A list of good free programs can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

For your email, it is possible that a Norton update has something to do with it not being able to send. Do you get any error messages? If so, post the entire message for us to look at.
As for the rest of your issues, I have no clue.

#3 working girl

working girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

Thank you Queen Evie.

In answer to your question, these problems did not coincide with installing Norton 360. My previous Norton subscription ran out several, several months ago and I got cornered into Norton 360 because it was the only way to get Norton's Anti-Spam Toolbar for Outlook which i love (I despise the Norton Firewall, 360 NEVER identifies a virus, and they don't support Firefox (what is that about??) ) I have several other installed anti-virus services that I like better (I especially like Spybot). I use the others more often than Norton 360.

I was guessing that these problems were all related to a possible corruption in Norton 360. . . relentless LUCOMS~1.EXE, lucallbackproxy.exe, etc. I noticed LiveUpdate on Control Panel an hour or so ago, changed the setting from automatic to manual and that seems to have stopped the slow-down.

During last hour, I took all the steps in a "pinned" post to see if I could connect to the secure web sites that rejected me. Haven't had a chance to open Quicken to if fixed.

My e-mail is still a mystery. Was reporting errors for outbound failures (it's still NOT sending) but the only error message I can grab now is as follows:

Task 'pop.ix.netcom.com - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

If you have any thoughts on what the heck that could be. . .has always been reliable. . .please let me know.

Thanks for your reply!

Working Girl

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:11 PM

0x800CCC0F-Your antivirus program is conflicting with your email program which is preventing your email from being downloaded.

Here's a page that may help you clear up the error :

http://help.mosso.com/article.php?id=065

Your email provider most likely already scans incoming mail so it should be safe for you to disable Norton's email scanning for testing to see if turning it off clears up the issue.

Next issue:
Spybot isn't an anti-virus program, it's a spyware scanner.
IF you do indeed have other anti-virus programs installed, you need to think about which ones to get rid of. Only one is needed, there is no benefit to having more than one, and in fact multiple av's will conflict with each other. And yes, can cause your system to slow down.
Exactly WHICH programs do you have installed?

#5 working girl

working girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 01:27 AM

Queen Evie,

I have Norton 360, SpySweeper by WebRoot , Lavasoft AdAware, SpyBot, AVG Anti-spyware, AVG Anti Rootkit. I usually use the Windows Firewall, the Norton AntiVirus, the Spysweeper has six shield options for antivirus, malware, spyware, etc. as well as scan.

With regard to connecting to secure sites, sending/receiving email using Outlook, the Windows XP "diagnose connection problems" returned Error 12029 for FTP, HTTP, HTTPS. . . and said I should check firewall settings for HTTP port 80, HTTPS port (443), FTP port 21.

Could this be related to my reinstalling IE7 yesterday? Was trying to communicate with Symantec and they don't support Firefox.

Oddly, the IP address mentioned in the error reporting was not my computer IP (maybe it's my printer, dk.)

Thanks for sticking with me. :thumbsup:

Working Girl

p.s. had to take a break to go feed 4 teenage boys home from a hs basketball game.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:03 AM

Been there done that with the teenage boys. You have my sympathy-it costs more to feed teenage boys in a week than it does to feed the rest of the family for a month.

Norton 360 includes a firewall. You mention the Windows firewall-do you have that one turned on also? Running two firewalls will have the same effect as running 2 antivirus programs at the same time. Also, do you have email scanning turned on in both Norton and Webroot Spysweeper? I don't know if having both enabled has anything to do with a slow computer, but it could possibly affect Outlook.

As for your problems with Outlook, I did find something you can look at. Choose your version of Outlook, follow the directions carefully, check all your settings. The page tells how to set up a new account in Outlook. I'm not familiar with Outlook, but somewhere you should find a way to check all your settings to verify they are correct. Specifically look at My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and outgoing server port number.

http://kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=4355

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

Post above made at 9:03 am. And not showing up as a new post in the thread. Yet other posts made after that time are. Test to see if this clears it up so the OP will know there has been a reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users