Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kawaman

kawaman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

I built this new computer.It had a cheep faulty 350W power supply.So I got a new antec EA 500 500W power supply.
Motherboard:Msi K8n Neov2.0
Cpu:Amd Athlon 64 3400+ 754
Memmory:2/512mb cc2700/ddr333 dimm
Graphics card:Nvidia Geforce 5200 128mb memmory
Power suply: Antec Ea 500 500w
heatsink/fan Amd 64 techology 3500+ socket 939
windows xp sp1

Iv'e had trouble with this build from the beginning.At first the computer started up long enough for me to install windows xp.but then after restart nothing would show up on the monitor,the fans and lights would come on but thats it.I changed monitor from a working computer and the same thing.I tryed different video cards still same thing.I tryed different memmory same thing.Iput in another cpu and got bios boot up for about 5 sec. then heard a pop then nothing.So I figued it was the power suply (the first power supply was 350W)I turned on the computer with the new 500Wpower supply and the bios boot up came up on the monitor but shortly after I heard a pop and everything turned off again.But this time after a few min. I could turn It back on but then pop and shut off again.So Im thinking the computer Is shutting off from heat.Is this heatsink the correct one for my cpu ? I looked at newegg site and the heatsink I looked at was for a 939 and a 754 socket cpu so I thought this one mifgt work but something isshutting it off.any ideas guys? oh and this build was a barebones kit from computergeeks.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'm going to assume the pop you hear is an electrical short. Did you use the brass stand-offs when you mounted the motherboard?Are you sure that nothing underneath the motherboard is touching the solder traces? I would recommend taking everything out of the case and trying it out on the table top, on top a piece of cardboard. Start with just the memory and hard drive, then start adding things back one at a time
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

motherboard is out of case on cardboard with just memmory,cpu+heatsink,and hard drive hooked up .still shuts off.does It matter witch way the heat sink is hooked up with the athlon 64 3400+ on my older athlon xp the heatsink needed to be on one way?could I have the wrong heatsink on my cpu?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

Did the heatsink and processor come as a boxed set from AMD? If not what did you buy?I believe the hold down clip for a socket 939 should have "K9" stamped on it. You did use thermal compound, didn't you?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

the heat sink came in a box for a socket 939 3500+ but I have a socket 754 3400+ in the motherboard. (please don't ask me why.It all came in a bare bones kit) will the 939 heat sink work with a 754 socket cpu ?and yes there is compound on the cpu.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:12 PM

Depends on the heatsink some are universal and include different mounting clips. What kind of heatsink is it?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

Its an AMD .The box says its for 3500+ socket 939.This is my first build with a athlon 64 cpu.I just thought since it came with the rest of the parts It would work.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

Yes, it should be OK
Mark
Posted Image

#9 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

Ok here is what I've found so far.First of all I have two of the same mother boards.(MSI K8N neo v2.0).I took everything off the board but memmory and hard drive board # 1 is ok (does not shut off) .I put cpu on with heat sink and still ok.I put video card in and still ok but the monitor doesn't show anything.If I have video card,cpu,memmory and hard drive bios boot should show up on the screen right ?

Now mother board # 2 .Just memmory and hard drive installed its OK(does not shut off) Put cpu and heat sink on and it shuts off.I noticed that the heat sink base on board #1 is defferent (looks the same but the words lotis is writen on the sides ) so I took off the heat sink from board #1 and installed it on board #2 but it still shuts off after start up with memmory,hard drive and cpu.

I believe board #1has a bad VGA slot but not sure about board # 2.I know the cpu is good from it working without shutting off on board #1 .could this mean I have two bad boards?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:17 PM

Is there any way to beg or borrow another video card to try in board 1? The monitor is a known working monitor, right? With all of the plugging/unplugging check to make sure there aren't any bent pins
Mark
Posted Image

#11 kawaman

kawaman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

Ok this is my first and last time building with MSI motherboards .I've built over 12 computers all with asus motherboards and no major problems .

I changed cpu from 3400+ to 3200+ and got the computer to stay on but this board also will not show anything on the monitor.Now at one time I got a different message that said its set to the wrong resolution .how can I change that without the computer booting up.thank you for all your help mark.I'm getting closer but i'm getting vary frustrated with this board.

Any ideas on the resolution massage.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:24 PM

I built my wife's computer with a MSI board and haven't had any problems. Guess I should knock on wood . Their support isn't bad
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users