Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netzero Trying To Open With Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 darkrose

darkrose

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

hi everyone! I'm using netzero as my internet service and it keeps trying to open with internet explorer which i don't want-is there a way to have netzero open with my default browser-firefox? i have firefox already set as my default broswer so what can i do? what i do now is close internet explorer when it opens and click on firefox which works but slightly annoying. any clues to my annoyance would be helpful. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:10 PM

Check this out. It seems that Netzero wants you to use IE and intentionally blocks Firefox. So unfortunately there does not appear to be a solution other than ditching Netzero if you want to use Firefox.

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/592942...ox-default.html

#3 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

Check this out. It seems that Netzero wants you to use IE and intentionally blocks Firefox. So unfortunately there does not appear to be a solution other than ditching Netzero if you want to use Firefox.

http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/592942...ox-default.html

well, I guess I'll keep my small annoyance :thumbsup: Thanks for the link- it was not a big deal- firefox works wonderfully with netzero just have to close IE first.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

darkrose,

You don't have to put up with that annoyance. I'd like to recommend a very good ISP that will work with Firefox. I used it for several years before getting my broadband connection. I believe their price is similar to Netzero. $12.50 per month, with an optional accelerator for $15.99 a month. No contracts. Monthly billing, if you like. Pay by check, MO, or automatic deductions.

The nicest thing about Surfbest is that it is just a dial-up connection. All it does is get you online. You can use their web mail or OE, Outlook,Thunderbird, or just about any email program. Whatever you want. Once your account is set up, you can use their dial up software or set it up yourself in IE. Then set Firefox as your default browser and forget about it.

Their customer service is excellent too.

If I ever have to go back to dial up, I'll go back to Surfbest.

http://www.surfbest.net/

#5 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

darkrose,

You don't have to put up with that annoyance. I'd like to recommend a very good ISP that will work with Firefox. I used it for several years before getting my broadband connection. I believe their price is similar to Netzero. $12.50 per month, with an optional accelerator for $15.99 a month. No contracts. Monthly billing, if you like. Pay by check, MO, or automatic deductions.

The nicest thing about Surfbest is that it is just a dial-up connection. All it does is get you online. You can use their web mail or OE, Outlook,Thunderbird, or just about any email program. Whatever you want. Once your account is set up, you can use their dial up software or set it up yourself in IE. Then set Firefox as your default browser and forget about it.

Their customer service is excellent too.

If I ever have to go back to dial up, I'll go back to Surfbest.

http://www.surfbest.net/

hi momabear,thanks for the info on surfbest-i already like it because it works with firefox :thumbsup: i bookmarked it and will check it out more throughly as soon as i can.The price is about the same,give or take a few dollars. thank you!

#6 darkrose

darkrose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

I just went to the support site for netzero and i found out that it does support firefox! Anyway,i should get a reply shortly about my small annoyance :thumbsup:

#7 igotforgot

igotforgot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

Try utilizing your firewall settings to block the process. Hope this helps.

Edited by igotforgot, 25 March 2008 - 06:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users