Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Heat In The Home And Old Pc?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dcloud

dcloud

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

I'm giving my old PC to my mom, but in the summer their house gets very hot. They don't have any AC. I'm wondering if this will be bad for the computer?

This is the system: ASUS P4P800, Intel P4 HT 2,4GHz (with stock HS and fan), Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU, 2GB KIngston PC3200, Radeon 32MB PCI graphics card, running Windows XP Home (SP2). I'm thinking I should upgrade the CPU HS and buy some new case fans.

Aside from the heat question can anyone recommend a good HS for the old P4?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

I don't think it's a simple question, too many variables.

How hot is "very hot?"

Does the system run hot now?

Will your mom use the system in the same manner...for as long...as you currently do?

I'd be more concerned about humidity (I've been to Panama) than I would heat.

Worst case...remove the covers, place a small fan near and let it blow in (as so many do) if it shows signs of overheating.

If you're really concerned about it, I imagine that you would ensure that a most appropriate set of fans are installed, in an effort to reduce the likelihood of system overheating. Doesn't cost a lot.

As for case fans...it's more important that they are blowing in the proper directions...than just overloading a case with fans that impede, rather than facilitate, the flow of air in the system. Generally speaking...upper fan in PS blows hot air out, lower fan in front of system pulls air in. You'll have to read up for others' opinions :thumbsup:.

I find that removing the case covers is my solution, although I don't do it for cooling purposes.

Louis

#3 dcloud

dcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:44 PM

Louis, thanks for the reply. My mom will just basically use the PC for surfing the Web. I'm looking at getting a new HS for the CPU - a Thermalright SI-120. Someone in another forum has one for sale. They said it would work with my Socket 478 CPU. I'm also getting some new fans.

Edited by dcloud, 22 February 2008 - 07:45 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:32 PM

If I may add a notion. As it is old make sure you give it a god cleanup as, 1. dirt can make it heat up and 2. she may not be able to do this.
Here's a tip link
Cleaning the Interior of your PC
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

I've used the Thermalright SI-120 on my P4 3.0 gHz system (and an Asus P4P800 SE motherboard) and it ran for years. I modded the case in order to get cooler outside air directly onto the CPU (plastic cup and duct tape!) and added a blowhole at the top to rid myself of excess heat.

It spent the first year of it's life in El Paso, TX without airconditioning - so I'd imagine that it'd work well in other similar places. Dirt was a big issue there - as was cable/airflow management (air in matches the air out).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users