Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Security Breach Of Encryption Programs Found Today!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:04 PM

I’ve attached a link to a few articles that appeared on the NET today about how easy researches found it is to Breach many common Encryption programs.
----
Researchers with Princeton University and the Electronic Frontier Foundation have found a flaw that renders disk encryption systems useless if an intruder has physical access to your computer”.
---
The researchers successfully performed the attack on several disk encryption systems -- Apple's FileVault, Microsoft's BitLocker, as well as TrueCrypt and dm-crypt -- but said they have no reason to believe it won't work on other disk encryption systems as well, since they all share similar architectures”.

The second link has a video demo to show the vulnerability of most systems. I only bring this up because if I can find this info ANYONE can. Plus the articles were posted on The Drudge report today! (Only the most visited site on the NET!!).
*Does anyone have more info on this matter?
*Does anyone know a program or system to counter-act these security flaws?

I think this will become a huge story. Even one’s Laptop/or desktop is vulnerable to this!
Thanks for your help!

http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2008/02/21-0

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/02/r...rchers-dis.html

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:19 AM

Researchers with Princeton University and the Electronic Frontier Foundation have found a flaw that renders disk encryption systems useless if an intruder has physical access to your computer.

That right there tells me you're pretty much toast. Having physical access and time nothing is bullet proof. I wouldn't worry about finding something to defeat that angle, except common sense like making sure you are always aware of your property.

The analogy being a car theif can render your ignition and expensive alarm systems, useless if he has possesion of your car. Gee Ya think?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users