Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Remove Win98 From Dual Boot 98/xp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lastchance

lastchance

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

Running Win XP Home, Version 2002 SP2, on an IBM X-20 Laptop. When XP was installed, drive was partitioned with XP in one partition and XP in the other. I'd like to get rid of Win 98 and have only 1 XP partition in order to recover the C: disk space.

Any suggested procedure? (Please keep it rudimentary enough for a non-IT.) Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

Check to see the location of your boot.ini file.

I believe just two things are required:

a. Adjust the boot.ini file to remove the Win 98 as an option.

b. Delete the Win 98 folder while in XP.

Here's a link, with more details: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,1645209,00.asp

Louis

#3 lastchance

lastchance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Thanks for the tip. However, won't this still leave my C: drive partitioned? I'd like to remove the partition and add the D: drive space (now used for Win 98) to the C: drive. Then it would be a no-brainer deciding where to store and lookup files.

I must have gotten the XP upgrade via a download, because I certainly can't find a setup CD. (It has been a few years since the upgrade.) So formatting back to one drive and re-loading OS and the applications is not an attractive way to go.

Charlie

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

Well...I don't know of a legal download for any version of Windows, at any time.

As for the partitions...it's smarter/better (IMO) to have two partitions than to have just a C: partition.

If something screws up either of two...you still have access to the other.

It's easier to segregate XP and programs and put miscellaneous files/data files on the D: partition.

Having to perform system maintenance on either of two...is better than doing one partition with the volume of the two combined. More flexibility.

Louis

#5 lastchance

lastchance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:29 AM

Well yes, In my youth, I used to partition a drive to have programs in one and data in another and there are advantages. But:

I followed the PC Mag instructions and deleted all folders in Windows 98 (C:)
Explorer showed an empty disk C: but
Properties showed C: with 1.74 GB used and 1.89 GB free, so
I used clean disk and emptied trash bin which brought C: properties to 1.28 GB used and 2.36 free!
Explorer still showing empty disk
Windows XP refuses to format C:, and
Now on boot, get mesage:
"Error finding BTMAGIC INC>
Run Boot magic install
Press a key"
Which brings me back to standard dual boot option screen and allows a boot into XP
MSCONFIG>BOOT.INI>Check all boot paths tells me
"It appears all BOOT.INI lines for the MS operating systems are OK"!

I'm reluctant to move or copy anything into the "empty" C: because it's liable to get me further into the woods.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Charlie

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

OK...the problem appears to be the fact that you used Boot Magic, rather than the native XP/Windows bootloader. Although I have used Partition Magic for years, I've never used Boot Magic.

The "cure" linked to assumes use of the XP bootloader.

What I would do is...delete the C: partition (formerly held Win 98), using the XP CD. Then do a repair install of XP (which should, if my thinking is correct, then move to the beginning of the hard drive and occupy the space formerly occupied by Win 98 and Boot Magic).

I suggest waiting for further input from others before proceeding.

And, of course, back up before proceeding.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

I would suggest opening up the Recovery Console and running:
fixboot
fixmbr

and if it still doesn't work correctly, then try
bootcfg /rebuild

This should rebuild the boot sector and the mbr on the boot (C:) drive. It'll leave a few files on it, but for now that's OK - the main effort here is to get Windows to boot correctly.

Once that's done, something can be done about rearranging the partitions in a manner more to your liking.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users