Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried Linux, I Want Windows Back

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spix14

spix14

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

Call me stuck in my ways, but after giving Linux a go for the last week or so I just can't get into it. I finally just bit the bullet and went out and got a copy of XP. It doesn't want to install, however. So, how do I remove Linux and install windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:21 PM

What do you mean by 'it doesn't want to install'? Does the CD jump out of the tray and run away screaming? :thumbsup:

#3 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

Lmao, what a great mental image. No, it just seems to ignore the fact that there is an installation disk in the drive and starts linux up...and I just don't know the system well enough to know where to go from there.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

Then when you boot the system, there will be an option to go into the bios. You need to set your computer to boot from the disk.

#5 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:04 AM

Still can't get it to work. Could there be something wrong with the disc?

#6 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:11 AM

Ok, I got to the bios thing, but it wants a password that, for some reason, is not the same as the password to log into Linux. i am lost again.

#7 Rustendrage

Rustendrage

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:44 AM

:thumbsup:
Your BIOS password and Linux password WILL NOT be the same.Most BIOS don't have password set by default.So I guess you or someone else using the PC has set a BIOS password.Now I hope you do remember it.
Most people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.

"You will never walk alone"

#8 spix14

spix14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:48 AM

Well, crap. The problem there is that this is a used computer. So I have no clue what the former owner set as the password. Is there any way to change it?

#9 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

A lot of machines have a boot menu that will allow you to select the boot device without modifying the bios. On Dell machines I know it's F12.
On my Toshiba laptop it's F2. Most common keys are F2, F12, Tab, Alt+Tab,

Worth a shot anyways.

As far as reseting the bios password, most motherboards have a jumper that will do this. Of course this requires that you open up your machine and set the jumper.
You could try that if you are comfortable opening up the case. (just unplug it first) U could probably get a manual from the manufacturer's website that will explain how to do this.
If not, most shops can do this for you.

Edited by yr-less, 29 February 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#10 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

As far as reseting the bios password, most motherboards have a jumper that will do this. Of course this requires that you open up your machine and set the jumper.
You could try that if you are comfortable opening up the case. (just unplug it first) U could probably get a manual from the manufacturer's website that will explain how to do this.
If not, most shops can do this for you.

I also bought my current computer off of ebay, and it had a dead hard drive and a BIOS password. I went to dell and found the manual and popped the little jumper thing off. I probably need to stick it back on... or something. Oh well, I don't set a BIOS pass anyways.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#11 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

I don't know if you're fixed or not, but this might help.

How to clear an unknown BIOS password.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000235.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users