Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Media Center Edition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:01 PM

I have a computer that has died recentally with WinXP Media center. My question is, becuase I do not have the disks, is thier any LEGAL way to download an ISO from microsoft or something, burn it onto a disk, and reinstall using the key provided?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

Yes, there is a way - but it'll cost you about $1400. Not an attractive proposition.

The easiest thing to do is to contact the manufacturer of the PC to see if they can supply restore disks. Most companies will sell you a set for around $20 (US) and will mail them out immediately.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

$1400??

On closer expection it is a HOME EDITION key. Still need 1400$ just to get disks to install XP on another computer?

(This confuses me I know for a fact that it was running Media Center...)
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

If you have a valid XP Home key...then you ought to be able to find someone with a Home CD.

You could try that with the key that you state you have.

Louis

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:44 PM

So theirs no way I can get the CDs myself without having to buy something?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

$1400 is for a subscription to some Microsoft services - and, BTW, they don't offer a copy of Home or Media Center in the subscription that I've got.

You're best bet is to find someone with an OEM copy of exactly the same type as is indicated on the CD Key label.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users