Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Cd Key?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nic4433

Nic4433

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi,

I just got Windows XP Professional SP2c from Newegg.com. It is a OEM package. I opened it up yesterday and tried to install it but there is no CD key that I can find. I looked everywhere for it. The little sticker that is supposed to be on the back of the booklet is missing. So did I just not get a CD key with my brand new copy of XP, or am I missing something? Newegg.com doesn't accept returns for OEM software so what should I do?

Thanks,

Nic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

contact newegg and let them know what happend because if there is no CD Key then there is no licence so you didnt get what you paid for. They should do something to make it right.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

Call Newegg.

The key is the really valuable commodity...anyone can burn an install CD, but only those with a valid key can use it.

As for OEM packages, it doesn't matter whether it's OEM or retail or upgrade version of Windows. Every valid licensed copy of Windows bought from a retailer should have a key included as part of the materials.

You did check the packaging, right?

I have three booklets here for XP Home OEM. Two had the key affixed to the book, one did not (it was in the packaging).

Louis

#4 Nic4433

Nic4433
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:08 AM

Thanks for the replies. I called and got a CD key and my computer is working for once.

Thanks,

Nic

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

Good news, happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users