Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hidden Files - Where Did They Go?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 P2P

P2P

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

I restored my pc so all my files were gone (Music - Pictures). I managed to recover them using "Scavenger 3.2" through external drive. So I was wondering why my HDD keeps showing me same space memory I had before restoration was made. Are those files hidden (70GB) ? Where?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

I hope you can help me on this.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:21 AM

Run chkdsk /r to get a current tab on space and a few other fixes.

If you are talking about File Scavenger...I think the instructions specifically indicate that you cannot restore a partition/files...to the same partition you are recovering for.

If you are talking about another application, I suggest you go back and read the instructions for using and/or check their support.

Louis

Edit: 3.2 seems to be the free sample version...which only restores a minimal amount of files.

If you want to restore any files of size, you will require a paid version of the current software (if you use a Quetek product).

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2008 - 01:21 PM.

#3 P2P

P2P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:43 AM

I Did. I purchased it & was able to recover what I deleted. All my files are now located in an external HDD (Around 70 GB). However, my HDD shows as of today 100 GB free space available instead of 170 GB. The ones I had to recover using Scavenger 3.2 should've been deleted from my PC and they were but HDD free space didn't reflected.

Edited by P2P, 22 February 2008 - 10:45 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

I could be wrong but...

I think that...when recovering files, those files are not necessarily files which are viewable on the hard drive as originally seen. That's why they have to be recovered via use of a recovery program. There is no point in recovering...files which exist normally on a hard drive and which are seen as occupying that drive.

Soooo...there is no reason for your visible hard drive space allocations to change. If you deleted the files, they were removed from the original HD space allocation when you did so.

I have no idea where you are getting these numbers you throw around, but there are utilities which you can use to what files are taking up space on your system. Tree Size/TS Pro is one.

Recovering them to another drive merely increases the space used on that drive.

Then again, I could just be having another senior moment :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 P2P

P2P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the tip I will try any of these tonight (Tree Size/TS Pro ) & keep you update.

#6 P2P

P2P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:30 AM

I tried TS Pro but still have same result. It doesn't show me where my hidden files are . I'm thinking to restore my PC to its original configuration. If I do this Will I have back my space memory? I guess I would need help on this since my issues started when I restored it by myself.

Edited by P2P, 25 February 2008 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users