Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnosing My Uncle's Pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:46 AM

Hi,

I happen to be at my Uncle's house who's got a Packard Bell Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz 2GB RAM 180GB HDD and running Windows Xp Home Edition SP2.

When it starts, there is a slightly loud noise heard for about 5 minutes, continuously and then intermittently. The sound is similar to that of sliding a pen against some metal railings... I don't know what it is or what is causing it. I have never opened inside a computer so I might not want to risk that especially since it isn't mine!

Just looking for any thoughts to share with my uncle, and to let him know if repair is needed.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:50 AM

Take the side off and look for a loose wire hitting or resting against a fan blade. Another, worse, possible problem would be a faulty hard drive

Edited by garmanma, 22 February 2008 - 01:33 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:00 AM

Hey,

if its a soon as you start up the PC my first guess would be a fan. does this noise happen at any other time when the PC is running? there may be something lodged in one
how long does the PC stay on for at a time may i ask?

other things to check would be any drive - try starting the PC without any media in the drives (CD's, Floppy's etc)

other than that i would turn to harddrive but i would think if there was a problem there you would hear the noise pretty much constant whilst the PC was running

Steve
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#4 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Emu1616, the noise starts immediately after the PC is turned on and continues for like 5 minutes before it stops.

If this is the fan, does the fan start running immediately after the computer is turned on and for approximately 5 minutes before it stops turning?

how long does the PC stay on for at a time may i ask?

If you mean how long it is used for at a time, I would say it is pretty much over-used! There are two of my teenage cousins usually staying on for several hours at a time late into the night...

garmanma, I'll check if I can do that. Hopefully it should be simple.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi JUHA

A quick look would be the way to go. Tell your Uncle that every desktop should be opened up and cleaned about once a year. Heat is the PC killer and dust does build up and clog heatsinks and fans.

It really is simple and a good tutorial is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Good luck

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

If this is the fan, does the fan start running immediately after the computer is turned on and for approximately 5 minutes before it stops turning?

Normally your fan will start up when boot your PC up and willl run for a few minutes, you say that the PC is over used so id expect your to hear the noise at some over point during the time the PC is on ??

Best thing to do like its been said is to take the side off and have a look, clean out any dust (use a hover attachment its quicker lol), whilst your there boot up the PC, check for any cables hitting the fan(s), see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from (fans, HD, CD Drives etc) and post back on your findings
~ E-Mu ~

#7 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:50 AM

you had a look inside the PC yet?
anymore info as to where the sound is coming from?
~ E-Mu ~

#8 Juha

Juha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:13 AM

Haven't gone back yet.

I'll let you know when I go back, and if my Uncle will trust me to check inside the PC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users