Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ip Address Information

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swas

swas

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:33 AM

Hi everyone. This is probably absolute paranoia but I thought I would ask anyway. If someone has your exact IP address, is there any way they can "hack" your computer with the information??. I recently was visiting an Internet forum where an individual was claiming he could send any number of viruses to you just by knowing your IP address. (I know it was some keyboard commando talking big). I do have a couple of questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering.

1. What does your computer send along with your IP address?? I believe it also sends your operating system and what browser your using, but I'm not sure.

2. Can anyone recommend a good program for monitoring what ports are open on your computer that works with vista?

3. Is there a place where you can look up IP addresses on the internet??

Thanks for any help. Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum

Edited by swas, 22 February 2008 - 02:35 AM.

How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

What info is provided by My IP Address?

TCPView for Windows

TCPView is a Windows program that will show you detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the local and remote addresses and state of TCP connections...

CurrPorts

...displays the list of all currently opened TCP/IP and UDP ports on your local computer. For each port in the list, information about the process that opened the port is also displayed, including the process name, full path of the process, version information of the process (product name, file description, and so on), the time that the process was created, and the user that created it.

You can investigate IP addresses and gather additional information at:
All Net Tools SmartWhois
Domain Tools
robtex.com
Network-Tools.com whois?

Computers can use static or dynamic IP addresses. A static IP address is a number assigned to a computer by an Internet service provider (ISP) and intended to be its permanent address on the Internet. Thus it will not change.

However, there are not enough IP numbers for each computer so many ISPs limit the number of static IP addresses they assign and utilize a pool of IP addresses instead. The ISP will temporarily assign a dynamic IP address automatically to a requesting Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) computer from this pool of addresses and it will change each time you connect to the Internet. When you disconnect from the Internet, the temporary dynamic IP address is returned to the IP address pool so it can be assigned to someone else. When you reconnect, you are then assigned a different dynamic IP address from those available in the pool.

Hackers use "port scanning" to search for vulnerable computers with open ports using IP addresses or a group of random IP address ranges. Botnets and Zombie computers scour the net and will randomly scan a block of IP addresses. These infected computers are searching for "vulnerable ports" and make repeated attempts to access them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 swas

swas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:33 PM

Wow great links, and information. Some of it is a little over my head, but its a great reason to learn something new :thumbsup: Thanks for all your time and help.
How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then rest afterward

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:38 PM

Your welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016