Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking For A Good Videocard But Having Problems Finding One.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lukse

Lukse

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:17 AM

I just recently bought a EXGA nvidia 8400gs video card but found out i needed Vista to run the damn card. (i only have windows XP)

My computer specs are as follows

Processor AMD Athlon™ 3500+ processor

* Operates at 2.2 GHz
* 2000 MHz FSB
* 512 KB L2 cache

Chipset C51G chipset
Firmware Hub (FWH) 4 MB
System Clock 2000 MHz
# Memory Four DIMM slots support DDR 333/400 dual channel modules
# Expandable to 4 GB
# Drive Bays Two external 5.25-inch
# Two external 3.5-inch
# Two internal 3.5-inch (hard drive)
Network Support Integrated NVIDIA network controller with AC131 10/100 PHY
Video Integrated NVIDIA C51G video chipset
Discrete Graphics (Optional) Type: PCI-Express ×16
Audio Integrated Realtek ALC 880 audio
# Add-in Card Slots One PCI Express ×16
# One PCI Express ×1
# Two PCI conventional
Media Reader 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager supporting the following:

That was it Stock, I have recently put in a 450wpsu from thermaltake, and an extra 1gig or ram.

The motherboard that came with the comp was a FIC KTBC51G And as it says earlier It has an intergrated videocard.

Now my trouble is finding a videocard to fit that motherboard, Some noob questions i have is will my processor run cards that require Intellcore duo 2? (i already found out about vista)

Or do i have to find cards that dont really have requirements? Because shopping on newegg doesnt really seem to be going my way unless im searching the wrong way for a videocard.

Any help would be awesome guys. Thanks alot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lukse

Lukse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:25 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150265

I am really looking at this one, wondering if it will work in my computer, Again any help will be awesome, Thanks.

Edited by Lukse, 22 February 2008 - 02:41 AM.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

I'm pretty sure you don't need vista to run the card. The card uses directx10, which is only in vista and not xp, but the card should be able to run in directx9 mode for xp. Anyway, the 8600GT that you posted is in the same boat at the 8400, its just a better card.

Have you tried putting the card in your computer yet? If you have and you're not getting a signal through it, you might have to disable the integrated graphics built into your motherboard.

To do this, go to start, control panel, system, hardware tab, device manager. In device manager go to the drop down box that says display adapters and right click your integrated graphics's and disable. Then restart your computer. Hopefully this helps!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users