Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Safety

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Thelastleap

Thelastleap

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:49 AM

Hey wuts up bc its leap again and this time he has installed linux ubuntu so far it is great :thumbsup: except how do i get a firewall on this thing i dont want to get hacked or anything of that sort. i installed using wubi by the way the easiest way to install linux without messing with you harddrive.
Posted Image

Bleeping
Computer ROCKS!!!

Helped me get rid of Rogue software Anti-virus and taught me about virtualization I am grateful. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OmegamB

OmegamB

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

As far as I know, there is only one Ubuntu Firewall program called Firestarter. You can get this program by clicking the application menu>Add/Remove. At the top right of the add/remove window, is a drop down menu that should say "Support Ubuntu Applications". Click it, and then click "All Available Applications". Then Search for Firestarter and install it.

After installing you should be able to find the app under menu>system>administration.

Hope this helps.

Posted Image

#3 EightPence

EightPence

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:49 PM

And avoid logging in as root, that is good for security too. Part of linux security though, is the "Security through Obscurity" method.

#4 Foster Grant

Foster Grant

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

And avoid logging in as root, that is good for security too. Part of linux security though, is the "Security through Obscurity" method.

Ubuntu disables the root account by default, but allows root privileges as needed via sudo.

#5 roon

roon

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

Here's a good guide for setting up Ubuntu ------> http://ubuntuguide.org/
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Processor@2.2Ghz per core, Asus M2N-E mobo, 1GBx2 PC-5300 DDRII RAM, 80 GB Seagate SATA drive 7200 RPM (ST380817AS), Nvidia nforce570 mcp chipset, XFX nvidia Geforce 8400GS 256MB(64 bit) 512MB-TC Graphics card, Bridge BM 17c monitor.

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:51 AM

there are actually several linux firewalls. Though, they are not any where near as common as other products, because linux can be configured to act as a firewall as well. As far as ease goes though, using synaptic or automatix to install firestarter is probably the easiest.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Part of linux security though, is the "Security through Obscurity" method.

I guess that I do not but that idea at all, but I am not exactly sure what your idea of Security through Obscurity is? In my world, that comes down to renaming a file in hopes that it will be overlooked, or using non-traditional ports in hopes that they will not be noticed. Both are bad ideas, and in the corporate world, result in loss of data.

So I am sort of curious what you are talking about?

#8 meisinscotland

meisinscotland

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

I don't imagine a firewall is greatly important. the design of Linux itself is far more important and what ports are open, etc. but you could put a firewall on if you wanted - i have no idea which, though. the only linux firewall i've actually used came with puppy. i don't use one on my mac and on windows its just the windows firewall.

keep it simple!

#9 JacksonT

JacksonT

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:12 AM

So I am sort of curious what you are talking about?

By Security through Obscurity they mean that because Linux has such a low market share compared to Windows that virus writers will go for an OS that has far more users to infect and most Linux users have a better idea about how to avoid being infected. Though if you do a lot of things that could expose you its best to be careful

Edited by JacksonT, 22 March 2008 - 12:14 AM.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

By Security through Obscurity they mean that because Linux has such a low market share compared to Windows

You must be psychic. How do you know what EightPence means?

Security through obscurity means relying on non-standard programming practices and secrecy in a mistaken belief that attackers will be unable to figure out how to bypass security measures. It has nothing to do with market share, or how often an OS is attacked. Linux employs security by design, which is exactly the opposite. Since Linux and software that run on it are largely open source, potential security flaws can be easily spotted and corrected. There is no secrecy involved.

I don't imagine a firewall is greatly important....

Really? Do you leave all the doors and windows on your house unlocked when you go away too? The more potential routes you have open into your system, the greater the chance that an attacker can find a way onto your system. A firewall is to keep out unwanted traffic.

i don't use one

Unless you are some sort of a security professional that can share with the rest of us a solid argument for not using a firewall, then the fact that you choose to not should not be taken by any one to mean that it is ok to go without one.

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

A good firewall I use is called Guarddog

to install it do the following
  • open the terminal
  • type sudo apt-get install guarddog
  • yes, then hit enter
Now you have guarddog! To edit the settings type in gksudo guarddog at the terminal (make sure you're logged in as root first.

#12 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

I use a hardware firewall at the "gate" and all pc's have
their own software firewalls. Shorewall on the Linux boxes and
Sygate on the Windows.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#13 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:56 PM

A good firewall is a must. As groovicus stated, not having one is basicly the same as leaving all your windows and doors open at your house.

As for viruses,
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/li...indows_viruses/

"There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage. Two or three of the Macintosh viruses were widespread enough to be of importance. None of the Unix or Linux viruses became widespread - most were confined to the laboratory."

As stated in the article there are very few viruses for linux. Basicly in order to get a virus in linux, you have find one, then download it, give it executable permissions, then execute it.

Also the fact that there are very big distinctions between the different users and their rights/permissions makes it even harder for a virus to do anything in the way of "real damage" to the system. Where as most windws user actually have their accounts set up with "Admin" permissions.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#14 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:48 AM

Using Mepis OS...I don't use there version of mail (thunderbird or K). That said, I was having
problems moving around the net yesterday so I went into Guarddog, disable it and all was fine.
Long story short, I thought later that it wasn't a good idea without a firewall. I went back and enabled
it, but I set it to factory settings and it won't let me on the net....right now it's disabled and all is good.
If it makes any difference, this computer is behind a router...Sorry to be so long.....Should I try
somehow to make Guard dog enabled again?

EDIT: Problem over...reconfigured Guard Dog AND got Thunderbird mail working.

Admins, please feel free to pull this post.

Edited by joe883, 05 May 2008 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users