Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan Multi-port Trouble?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dcloud

dcloud

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:41 AM

I bought a Sunbeam multi-fan port to use with my 120mm fans so they aren't running off the MB (except for my CPU fan). My rear case fan was originally plugged into this header on my P35-DS4 (Rev2.1) board.

Posted Image

I unplugged the fan and used a Rosewill 12" fan extension cable to run the rear case fan to the Sunbeam, and I also plugged my front case fan into it. I then plugged one of my PCP&C Silencer 610's IDE molex plugs to the power connector.

Posted Image

The problem came when I turned the computer on; a loud continuous whine came from the case. Also, when I pressed the On button on the front of the case the computer clicked on, but then went right back off and then turned on again. I made it to the desktop without any other issues. I could see my CPU fan was running and the front case fan, but the rear fan was not.

I turned the computer off, plugged the rear case fan back into the SYS_FAN1 header, left the molex IDE plugged into the multi-port along with the front case fan, and turned the computer back on. The computer booted immediately without making any noises and without doing that weird off/on thing, and the rear fan started running.

I'm stumped as to what happened. I'd like to have the rear case fan plugged into the multi-port as well as any other fans I might get so if anyone could give me some suggestions I would sure appreciate it.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Edit: Double Post :thumbsup:

Edited by garmanma, 22 February 2008 - 02:11 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

What is the make and the size of your power supply? Try plugging it back in and unplug a CD drive and see if it does the same thing
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 dcloud

dcloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

Note to self: Always check the BIOS settings.

This morning after I had some coffee (lol) I got down on the floor and studied the case and all the hook ups. It finally dawned on me while I was sitting there to check the BIOS. I turned the computer on and went into BIOS and disabled the system fan warning. Viola, no more long beep, but the fan still wasn't running so I tried another extension cable and now it works. Thankfully I ordered more than one.

My PSU is a PCP&C Silencer 610.

Edited by dcloud, 22 February 2008 - 03:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users