Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vundo Infection With Pos Tmp Files And Red X For C

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:20 AM

Dear Community
On Feb. 6 I seemed to have a vundo attack. Computer started running slow and had the pop ups others have reported. McAfee seemed to blunt the attack somewhat. Superantispyware found and removed lots of tracking cookies and Trojans. I then discovered Bleeping Computer and following advice ran vundofix. I was then advised to do the prep and post a HJT log. I tried to be diligent and do all the steps requested. Trojans and tracking cookies were found and removed by various programs. I do not recall any virus being found.I had a problem with Panda so this was not completed. Also on a different post someone mentioned that MS did not recommend updating windows if Malware was suspected. Auto update is always on but I have not manually updated from MS site. I plan to do that after clearing this up.
Computer seems to be running ok but I still left have lots of pos TMP files in my documents ( all dated Feb. 6) and in My Computer the C drive has a red X next to it. Also there are some small icons in the bottom task bar to the left of the arrow that are sometimes there and sometimes not. They seem to change also. The look legit but I am suspicious.
I and my stomach ( Which gets tied in Knots when there are computer problems) thank you advance. All help is greatly appreciated. Please review my log and advise as to where I stand.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:31:04 PM, on 2/21/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brss01a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960\dlbfbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\RetroExpress.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTSMLBIZ\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SAService.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.dll
O2 - BHO: McAntiPhishingBHO - {377C180E-6F0E-4D4C-980F-F45BD3D40CF4} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\mcapbho.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SetDefPrt] C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04b\BrStDvPt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A960] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960\dlbfbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RetroExpress] C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\RetroExpress.exe /h
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hcsystray] C:\Program Files\Kuma Games\hcsystray\Kumawar_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiteAdvisor] C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Status Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9239E4EC-C9A6-11D2-A844-00C04F68D538} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.mcafee.com
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://downloads.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Brother Industries, Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Restore Helper (RetroExp Helper) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\rthlpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SAService.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 12767 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 11:49 PM

Hello Nawtheasta,

I see Viewpoint installed.
Viewpoint Manager is considered as foistware instead of malware since it is installed without users approval but doesn't spy or do anything "bad".

This will change from what we know in 2006 read this article: http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3561546

I suggest you remove the program now, if you did not install it.

Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and remove the following programs if present.

Viewpoint
Viewpoint Manager
Viewpoint Media Player

If you uninstalled, please navigate to and delete the following folders
C:\Program Files\Viewpoint

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.

Updating Java:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 4".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
  • The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6-windows-i586.exe and save to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
    Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
    Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
    J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
  • Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u4-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

We will run ComboFix.

You need to disable your Mc Afee Antivirus before running ComboFix, as it will prevent it from running.

To disable McAfee Virusscan:
Please navigate to the system tray on the bottom right hand corner and look for a Posted Image sign.
  • right-click it -> chose "Exit."
  • a popup will warn that protection will now be disabled. Click on "Yes" to disable the Antivirus guard.
You succesfully disabled the McAfee Guard.

You should NOT use Combofix unless you have been instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is intended by its creator to be used under the guidance and supervision of an expert, not for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Please visit this webpage for instructions for downloading and running ComboFix:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Be sure to install the Windows XP Recovery Console in case you have not installed it yet. <== IMPORTANT

We need Recovery Console because malware damages a lot and causes an instable system - and because of that, it may happen that your computer won't be able to boot anymore. With the Recovery Console installed, there are extra options present to repair whatever malware damaged.
Also, even though you're not infected, the presence of the Recovery Console is a useful feature in case a computer won't boot anymore because of several other reasons. Read here what you can do with the Recovery Console.

Extra note: After you have installed the Recovery Console - if you reboot your computer, right after reboot, you'll see the option for the Recovery Console now as well.
Don't select to run the Recovery Console as we don't need it.
By default, your main OS is selected there. The screen stays for 2 seconds and then it proceeds to load Windows.

Post the ComboFix log.
If I've saved you time & money,
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#3 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:23 AM

Dear Sifumike February 25, 2008
Thanks very much for your response and your help.
From add/ remove I have deleted Viewpoint Manager and Viewpoint Media Player
There was no program entitled Viewpoint.

Regarding deleting folders : Viewpoint
I confess to being out of my element working with DOS commands. I opened a command prompt and from C:\> I put in C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
Looked like This
C:\>C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
Said that program was an improper command. I guess I am doing something wrong.
I looked in Windows Explorer under my Computer, C drive, program files I see no Viewpoint Listed.

When I started at Am I infected? What do I do? forum they advised to update Java and remove old programs . I did this last week. That version is Java 6 update 3. Older versions were deleted. I did follow your link for update 4. Page is titled :

Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 4 First Customer Ship

For version I selected Windows and English. I accepted the license agreement. I get this message:

Your download transaction cannot be approved. Contact Customer Service

I Google searched for more info. On a spybot forum someone else ( Not me) had the same problem. They were advised that possibly update 3 is the most current version available.

Please advise if I have done anything wrong in these first two steps.

Also please do not think I am trying to second guess anything. I am only trying to very very carefully follow your instructions to the letter. I will hold up here until you advise further. Thanks and My Very Best regards
Nawtheasta

P.S. Ref. before Combofix is run. Your instructions advise to disable McAfee. When you answer this could you also advise if I also need to disable Tea Timer, My screensaver or others. Thanks

#4 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

Regarding deleting folders : Viewpoint
I confess to being out of my element working with DOS commands. I opened a command prompt and from C:\> I put in C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
Looked like This
C:\>C:\Program Files\Viewpoint
Said that program was an improper command. I guess I am doing something wrong.
I looked in Windows Explorer under my Computer, C drive, program files I see no Viewpoint Listed.

That is OK, as we will delete the Viewpoint folder with ComboFix.

When I started at Am I infected? What do I do? forum they advised to update Java and remove old programs . I did this last week. That version is Java 6 update 3. Older versions were deleted. I did follow your link for update 4. Page is titled :

Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 4 First Customer Ship

For version I selected Windows and English. I accepted the license agreement. I get this message:
Your download transaction cannot be approved. Contact Customer Service

The Java download site is very busy. Try downloading Java SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 4 from this site: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Sun_Java_Runtime...ment_d4648.html

I recommend you disable Teatimer before install the new Java version.

I Google searched for more info. On a spybot forum someone else ( Not me) had the same problem. They were advised that possibly update 3 is the most current version available.

No, update 3 is an old version, update 4 is the current version. I have used it for about 4 months.

P.S. Ref. before Combofix is run. Your instructions advise to disable McAfee. When you answer this could you also advise if I also need to disable Tea Timer, My screensaver or others. Thanks

Yes, please disable McAfee Antivirus and Spybot Teatimer before running ComboFix.
Registry protectors, like teatimer, will prevent ComboFix from working.

To disable Spybot's Teatimer:
Run Spybot-S&D
Go to the Mode menu, and make sure "Advanced Mode" is selected
On the left hand side, choose Tools -> Resident
Uncheck "Resident TeaTimer" and OK any prompts
please make a donation so I can keep helping people just like you! You can donate using a credit card and PayPal. Thank you!

Posted Image

Asking for help via Private Message or Mail will be ignored - So If you need help, post your problem in the forum.

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Dear Sifumike February 25, 2008
I am confused. Maybe the problem is that I am using Firefox?? In How to use ComboFix" I clicked the Bleeping omputer URL to download Combofix. Option was to save. Firefox saves directly to desktop. It downloaded and placed an Icon on the desktop. Took about 3 seconds. I have cable. Then I went to the MS website and downloaded the XP Home edition SP2 to the desktop. ( about 4 seconds) I then dragged the WindowsXP icon on top of the Combofix icon and let go. I got the green installing bars but then I got the combo fix is preparing to run window (???) I did not think I was ready to run this yet because my browser was still open so at the disclaimer window I checked did not accept. This stopped ComboFix but also removed the icon from the desktop. I am not sure where I stand. I do not see ComboFix in the Add/remove window or in all programs. Also is there a quick way to see if the recovery console is installed and do I need to edit the recovery console password??
Please advise. Thanks again for your attention and help
Best Regards

Edited by Nawtheasta, 25 February 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#6 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

I am confused. Maybe the problem is that I am using Firefox?? In How to use ComboFix" I clicked the Bleeping omputer URL to download Combofix. Option was to save. Firefox saves directly to desktop. It downloaded and placed an Icon on the desktop. Took about 3 seconds. I have cable. Then I went to the MS website and downloaded the XP Home edition SP2 to the desktop. ( about 4 seconds) I then dragged the WindowsXP icon on top of the Combofix icon and let go.

Dont use Firefox to download, use IE.

I got the green installing bars but then I got the combo fix is preparing to run window (???) I did not think I was ready to run this yet because my browser was still open so at the disclaimer window I checked did not accept. This stopped ComboFix but also removed the icon from the desktop. I am not sure where I stand. I do not see ComboFix in the Add/remove window or in all programs. Also is there a quick way to see if the recovery console is installed and do I need to edit the recovery console password??

Combofix will not be in add/remove programs. If it installed correctly it will be on your desktop. It must be downloaded to the desktop in order to run correctly.

When you drag the Windows-XP. icon to the ComboFix icon, Recovery Console will automaticly install

3. Once the Microsoft file has finished downloading, you should drag it on top of the ComboFix icon and let your mouse button go.

4. ComboFix will now automatically install the Windows Recovery Console onto your computer, which will show up as a new option when booting up your computer. Do not select the Windows Recovery Console option when you start your computer unless requested to by a helper.

If Recovery Console installs correctly, ComboFix will give you a log like this:

WindowsXP-KB310994-SP2-Home-BootDisk-ENU.exe
[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

Then you need to run Combofix once again.
So double click Combofix.exe to run it.

Then post the log it creates in your next reply.

Edited by SifuMike, 25 February 2008 - 06:35 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

Wow!! Apparently the steps Combofix goes through with the latest version are a little different the the tutorial. But no matter the program seemed to work ok. The pos TMP files are gone from My Documents ( Yea!!) i still have a red x though for the C drive in my computer. Here is the log. Thanks again fir your attention.

ComboFix 08-02-25.3 - Ralph 2008-02-25 20:04:07.1 - NTFSx86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.420 [GMT -5:00]
Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Desktop\ComboFix.exe

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\HZWZJVNY\www.broadcaster.com
C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#www.broadcaster.com
C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#www.broadcaster.com\settings.sol
C:\Temp\isgTi19
C:\WINDOWS\cookies.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\bszip.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cdxelyyh.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ffbqowsw.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpqss.ini
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mpqss.ini2
C:\WINDOWS\system32\pac.txt

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2008-01-26 to 2008-02-26 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2008-02-21 23:30 . 2008-02-21 23:30 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Trend Micro
2008-02-20 20:18 . 2008-02-20 23:11 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\.housecall6.6
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 10:11 <DIR> d-------- C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 09:09 30,590 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\pavas.ico
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 09:09 2,550 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Uninstall.ico
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 09:09 1,406 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Help.ico
2008-02-19 22:46 . 2008-02-19 23:44 <DIR> d-------- C:\WINDOWS\BDOSCAN8
2008-02-19 20:56 . 2008-02-20 10:03 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-02-19 20:56 . 2008-02-19 22:23 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-02-19 11:07 . 2008-02-19 11:07 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Lavasoft
2008-02-19 11:07 . 2008-02-19 11:09 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft
2008-02-12 11:57 . 2007-12-14 01:59 69,632 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl
2008-02-12 11:15 . 2008-02-12 23:48 <DIR> d-------- C:\VundoFix Backups
2008-02-06 21:16 . 2008-02-25 11:44 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware
2008-02-06 21:16 . 2008-02-06 21:16 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com
2008-02-06 21:16 . 2008-02-06 21:16 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com
2008-02-06 21:12 . 2008-02-19 11:02 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard
2008-02-06 16:49 . 2008-02-06 16:49 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Citrix
2008-02-06 15:54 . 2008-02-06 15:54 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\McAfee
2008-02-06 14:27 . 2008-02-06 14:27 61,480 --a------ C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\GoToAssistDownloadHelper.exe
2008-02-05 09:29 . 2008-02-25 20:04 <DIR> d-------- C:\Temp

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2008-02-26 01:09 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Steam
2008-02-25 19:48 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RetroExp
2008-02-25 19:40 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\McAfee
2008-02-25 19:35 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Java
2008-02-22 02:35 --------- d-----w C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\SiteAdvisor
2008-02-22 01:56 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\SiteAdvisor
2008-02-20 14:57 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\iTunes
2008-02-20 14:54 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Google
2008-02-20 14:53 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960
2008-02-20 14:52 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Bonjour
2008-02-20 14:52 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\BAE
2008-02-12 23:21 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\U3
2008-02-06 20:55 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee
2008-01-11 05:53 44,544 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\pngfilt.dll
2008-01-09 20:01 53,248 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
2008-01-08 16:25 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\AdobeUM
2007-12-29 01:39 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Common Files\AnswerWorks 4.0
2007-12-29 01:21 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor
2007-12-19 23:01 347,136 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\dxtmsft.dll
2007-12-18 09:51 179,584 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mrxdav.sys
2007-12-14 16:32 12,632 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsdelete.exe
2007-12-08 05:21 3,592,192 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mshtml.dll
2007-12-06 11:01 625,664 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\iexplore.exe
2007-12-06 11:00 70,656 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ie4uinit.exe
2007-12-06 11:00 13,824 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ieudinit.exe
2007-12-06 04:59 161,792 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ieakui.dll
2007-12-04 18:38 550,912 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll
2007-12-04 18:38 550,912 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\oleaut32.dll

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe" [2004-08-04 05:00 15360]
"MSMSGS"="C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" [2004-10-13 11:24 1694208]
"Steam"="C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" [2007-12-12 07:52 1266936]
"SUPERAntiSpyware"="C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe" [2007-06-21 14:06 1318912]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SoundMAXPnP"="C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe" [2004-10-14 19:42 1404928]
"ATIPTA"="C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe" [2005-05-31 21:05 344064]
"DVDLauncher"="C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe" [2005-02-23 16:19 53248]
"Google Desktop Search"="C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" [2007-05-16 08:43 1831936]
"ISUSPM Startup"="C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe" [2004-07-27 15:50 221184]
"ISUSScheduler"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" [2004-07-27 16:50 81920]
"SSBkgdUpdate"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" [2003-10-14 09:22 155648]
"PaperPort PTD"="C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe" [2004-04-14 13:46 57393]
"IndexSearch"="C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe" [2004-04-14 14:04 40960]
"SetDefPrt"="C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04b\BrStDvPt.exe" [2004-05-25 08:16 49152]
"ControlCenter2.0"="C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe" [2004-07-20 08:34 851968]
"Dell AIO Printer A960"="C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960\dlbfbmgr.exe" [2003-09-21 10:21 270336]
"MaxtorOneTouch"="C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe" [2004-12-22 07:21 823296]
"RetroExpress"="C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\RetroExpress.exe" [2004-07-30 14:47 6946816]
"hcsystray"="C:\Program Files\Kuma Games\hcsystray\Kumawar_tray.exe" [ ]
"SiteAdvisor"="C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.exe" [2006-07-31 10:03 35416]
"mcagent_exe"="C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" [2007-08-04 01:33 582992]
"QuickTime Task"="C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" [2007-06-29 05:24 286720]
"iTunesHelper"="C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe" [2007-09-07 15:55 267064]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe" [2007-12-14 03:42 144784]

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Acrobat Assistant.lnk - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe [2003-10-23 23:37:56 217194]
Kodak EasyShare software.lnk - C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe [2006-06-07 06:26:28 180224]
QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe [2007-11-06 19:40:54 815104]
Service Manager.lnk - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe [2005-05-03 22:07:32 81920]
Status Monitor.lnk - C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe [2006-04-04 13:29:42 819200]

[hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shellexecutehooks]
"{5AE067D3-9AFB-48E0-853A-EBB7F4A000DA}"= C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASSEH.DLL [2006-12-20 13:55 77824]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\!SASWinLogon]
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll 2007-04-19 13:41 294912 C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Intuit\\QuickBooks 2005\\QBDBMgrN.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Kodak\\Kodak EasyShare software\\bin\\EasyShare.exe"=
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Kodak\\KODAK Software Updater\\7288971\\Program\\Kodak Software Updater.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\McAfee\\MNA\\McNASvc.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\Steam.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\coolforever\\day of defeat\\hl.exe"=

R3 BrScnUsb;Brother USB Still Image driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BrScnUsb.sys [2003-12-19 20:15]
R3 BrSerIf;Brother MFC Serial Port Interface WDM Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BrSerIf.sys [2004-06-12 04:27]
R3 BrUsbSer;Brother MFC USB Serial WDM Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BrUsbSer.sys [2004-01-10 03:28]
S3 PLUsbbc2;High-Speed USB Bridge Cable Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\usbbc2.sys [2003-05-07 14:54]
S3 Wdm1;USB Bridge Cable Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\usbbc.sys [2005-10-08 14:32]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\G]
\Shell\AutoRun\command - G:\LaunchU3.exe -a

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{0245394f-eeed-11db-9799-0014226093ee}]

Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder
"2008-02-21 23:27:02 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\AppleSoftwareUpdate.job"
- C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe
"2008-01-15 06:13:27 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\McDefragTask.job"
- c:\program files\mcafee\mqc\QcConsol.exe'
"2008-02-01 06:00:03 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\McQcTask.job"
- c:\program files\mcafee\mqc\QcConsol.exe
"2008-02-25 19:45:28 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\User_Feed_Synchronization-{5CADD033-60D7-477F-B98C-770B69D60897}.job"
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfeedssync.exe

catchme 0.3.1344 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-02-25 20:10:43
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden autostart entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

------------------------ Other Running Processes ------------------------
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960\dlbfbmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dwwin.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSC\mcuimgr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrospect.exe
Completion time: 2008-02-25 20:13:13 - machine was rebooted
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2008-02-26 01:13:09
2008-02-13 08:02:22 --- E O F ---

#8 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

Click Start, then Run and type Notepad and click OK.
Open notepad - don't use any other text editor than notepad or the script will fail.
Copy/paste the text in the code box below into notepad:

Folder:: 
C:\VundoFix Backups

Name the Notepad file CFScript.txt and Save it to your desktop.

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

Then drag the CFScript into ComboFix.exe as you see in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

This will start ComboFix again. After reboot, (in case it asks to reboot), post the contents of Combofix.txt in your next reply together with a new HijackThis log.

Posted Image

#9 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:17 AM

Here is my Comofix Info and a new HJT Log. The only obvious ( to me) symptom that is still there is the Red X for the C drive in My Computer. I don't know if this means anything but when I click on My Computer for a fraction of a second the original C icon is there . It is then replaced with the Red X. Again ( I know I say this a lot but I really mean it!) Thank you very much for your contiued help and patiance.

ComboFix 08-02-25.3 - Ralph 2008-02-26 8:37:31.2 - NTFSx86
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.2.1252.1.1033.18.498 [GMT -5:00]
Running from: C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Desktop\ComboFix.exe
Command switches used :: C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Desktop\CFScript.txt
* Created a new restore point

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

C:\VundoFix Backups
C:\VundoFix Backups\tixcphzd.dllbox.bad

((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2008-01-26 to 2008-02-26 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

2008-02-25 20:13 . 2008-02-25 20:13 6,736 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\PROCEXP90.SYS
2008-02-21 23:30 . 2008-02-21 23:30 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Trend Micro
2008-02-20 20:18 . 2008-02-20 23:11 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\.housecall6.6
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 10:11 <DIR> d-------- C:\WINDOWS\system32\ActiveScan
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 09:09 30,590 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\pavas.ico
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 09:09 2,550 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Uninstall.ico
2008-02-20 09:09 . 2008-02-20 09:09 1,406 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\Help.ico
2008-02-19 22:46 . 2008-02-19 23:44 <DIR> d-------- C:\WINDOWS\BDOSCAN8
2008-02-19 20:56 . 2008-02-20 10:03 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-02-19 20:56 . 2008-02-19 22:23 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2008-02-19 11:07 . 2008-02-19 11:07 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Lavasoft
2008-02-19 11:07 . 2008-02-19 11:09 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Lavasoft
2008-02-12 11:57 . 2007-12-14 01:59 69,632 --a------ C:\WINDOWS\system32\javacpl.cpl
2008-02-06 21:16 . 2008-02-25 11:44 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware
2008-02-06 21:16 . 2008-02-06 21:16 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com
2008-02-06 21:16 . 2008-02-06 21:16 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SUPERAntiSpyware.com
2008-02-06 21:12 . 2008-02-19 11:02 <DIR> d-------- C:\Program Files\Common Files\Wise Installation Wizard
2008-02-06 16:49 . 2008-02-06 16:49 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Citrix
2008-02-06 15:54 . 2008-02-06 15:54 <DIR> d-------- C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\McAfee
2008-02-06 14:27 . 2008-02-06 14:27 61,480 --a------ C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\GoToAssistDownloadHelper.exe
2008-02-05 09:29 . 2008-02-25 20:04 <DIR> d-------- C:\Temp

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2008-02-26 01:16 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\RetroExp
2008-02-26 01:09 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Steam
2008-02-25 19:40 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\McAfee
2008-02-25 19:35 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Java
2008-02-22 02:35 --------- d-----w C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\SiteAdvisor
2008-02-22 01:56 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\SiteAdvisor
2008-02-20 14:57 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\iTunes
2008-02-20 14:54 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Google
2008-02-20 14:53 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960
2008-02-20 14:52 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Bonjour
2008-02-20 14:52 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\BAE
2008-02-12 23:21 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\U3
2008-02-06 20:55 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee
2008-01-11 05:53 44,544 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\pngfilt.dll
2008-01-09 20:01 53,248 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
2008-01-08 16:25 --------- d-----w C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph\Application Data\AdobeUM
2007-12-29 01:39 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\Common Files\AnswerWorks 4.0
2007-12-29 01:21 --------- d-----w C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor
2007-12-19 23:01 347,136 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\dxtmsft.dll
2007-12-18 09:51 179,584 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mrxdav.sys
2007-12-14 16:32 12,632 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsdelete.exe
2007-12-08 05:21 3,592,192 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\mshtml.dll
2007-12-06 11:01 625,664 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\iexplore.exe
2007-12-06 11:00 70,656 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ie4uinit.exe
2007-12-06 11:00 13,824 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ieudinit.exe
2007-12-06 04:59 161,792 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\ieakui.dll
2007-12-04 18:38 550,912 ----a-w C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll
2007-12-04 18:38 550,912 ------w C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\oleaut32.dll

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"ctfmon.exe"="C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe" [2004-08-04 05:00 15360]
"MSMSGS"="C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" [2004-10-13 11:24 1694208]
"Steam"="C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" [2007-12-12 07:52 1266936]
"SUPERAntiSpyware"="C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe" [2007-06-21 14:06 1318912]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SoundMAXPnP"="C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe" [2004-10-14 19:42 1404928]
"ATIPTA"="C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe" [2005-05-31 21:05 344064]
"DVDLauncher"="C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe" [2005-02-23 16:19 53248]
"Google Desktop Search"="C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" [2007-05-16 08:43 1831936]
"ISUSPM Startup"="C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe" [2004-07-27 15:50 221184]
"ISUSScheduler"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" [2004-07-27 16:50 81920]
"SSBkgdUpdate"="C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" [2003-10-14 09:22 155648]
"PaperPort PTD"="C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe" [2004-04-14 13:46 57393]
"IndexSearch"="C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe" [2004-04-14 14:04 40960]
"SetDefPrt"="C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfl04b\BrStDvPt.exe" [2004-05-25 08:16 49152]
"ControlCenter2.0"="C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe" [2004-07-20 08:34 851968]
"Dell AIO Printer A960"="C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960\dlbfbmgr.exe" [2003-09-21 10:21 270336]
"MaxtorOneTouch"="C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe" [2004-12-22 07:21 823296]
"RetroExpress"="C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\RetroExpress.exe" [2004-07-30 14:47 6946816]
"hcsystray"="C:\Program Files\Kuma Games\hcsystray\Kumawar_tray.exe" [ ]
"SiteAdvisor"="C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.exe" [2006-07-31 10:03 35416]
"mcagent_exe"="C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" [2007-08-04 01:33 582992]
"QuickTime Task"="C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" [2007-06-29 05:24 286720]
"iTunesHelper"="C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe" [2007-09-07 15:55 267064]
"SunJavaUpdateSched"="C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe" [2007-12-14 03:42 144784]

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\
Acrobat Assistant.lnk - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe [2003-10-23 23:37:56 217194]
Kodak EasyShare software.lnk - C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe [2006-06-07 06:26:28 180224]
QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe [2007-11-06 19:40:54 815104]
Service Manager.lnk - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe [2005-05-03 22:07:32 81920]
Status Monitor.lnk - C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe [2006-04-04 13:29:42 819200]

[hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shellexecutehooks]
"{5AE067D3-9AFB-48E0-853A-EBB7F4A000DA}"= C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASSEH.DLL [2006-12-20 13:55 77824]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\notify\!SASWinLogon]
C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll 2007-04-19 13:41 294912 C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\windows]
"AppInit_DLLs"=C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL

[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Intuit\\QuickBooks 2005\\QBDBMgrN.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Kodak\\Kodak EasyShare software\\bin\\EasyShare.exe"=
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Kodak\\KODAK Software Updater\\7288971\\Program\\Kodak Software Updater.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\McAfee\\MNA\\McNASvc.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\Steam.exe"=
"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\coolforever\\day of defeat\\hl.exe"=

R3 BrScnUsb;Brother USB Still Image driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BrScnUsb.sys [2003-12-19 20:15]
R3 BrSerIf;Brother MFC Serial Port Interface WDM Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BrSerIf.sys [2004-06-12 04:27]
R3 BrUsbSer;Brother MFC USB Serial WDM Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\BrUsbSer.sys [2004-01-10 03:28]
S3 PLUsbbc2;High-Speed USB Bridge Cable Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\usbbc2.sys [2003-05-07 14:54]
S3 Wdm1;USB Bridge Cable Driver;C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\usbbc.sys [2005-10-08 14:32]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\G]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{0245394f-eeed-11db-9799-0014226093ee}]

Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder
"2008-02-21 23:27:02 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\AppleSoftwareUpdate.job"
- C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\SoftwareUpdate.exe
"2008-01-15 06:13:27 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\McDefragTask.job"
- c:\program files\mcafee\mqc\QcConsol.exe'
"2008-02-01 06:00:03 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\McQcTask.job"
- c:\program files\mcafee\mqc\QcConsol.exe
"2008-02-25 19:45:28 C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\User_Feed_Synchronization-{5CADD033-60D7-477F-B98C-770B69D60897}.job"
- C:\WINDOWS\system32\msfeedssync.exe

catchme 0.3.1344 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-02-26 08:39:44
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden autostart entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0

Completion time: 2008-02-26 8:40:12
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2008-02-26 13:40:11
ComboFix2.txt 2008-02-26 01:13:14
2008-02-13 08:02:22 --- E O F ---

Scan saved at 9:06:47 AM, on 2/26/2008

Running processes:
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {089FD14D-132B-48FC-8861-0048AE113215} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.dll
O2 - BHO: McAntiPhishingBHO - {377C180E-6F0E-4D4C-980F-F45BD3D40CF4} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\mcapbho.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: scriptproxy - {7DB2D5A0-7241-4E79-B68D-6309F01C5231} - C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan\scriptsn.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - c:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SiteAdv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar3.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PaperPort PTD] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\pptd40nt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IndexSearch] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PaperPort\IndexSearch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ControlCenter2.0] C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter2\brctrcen.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A960] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A960\dlbfbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch\utils\Onetouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hcsystray] C:\Program Files\Kuma Games\hcsystray\Kumawar_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mcagent_exe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe /runkey
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SUPERAntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Service Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqlmangr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Status Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Bonjour - {7F9DB11C-E358-4ca6-A83D-ACC663939424} - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\ExplorerPlugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Uninstall BitDefender Online Scanner v8 - {85d1f590-48f4-11d9-9669-0800200c9a66} - C:\WINDOWS\bdoscandel.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9239E4EC-C9A6-11D2-A844-00C04F68D538} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {193C772A-87BE-4B19-A7BB-445B226FE9A1} (ewidoOnlineScan Control) - http://downloads.ewido.net/ewidoOnlineScan.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D86DDB5-BDF9-441B-9E9E-D4730F4EE499} (BDSCANONLINE Control) - http://download.bitdefender.com/resources/scan8/oscan8.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Brother Popup Suspend service for Resource manager (brmfrmps) - Brother Industries, Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Brmfrmps.exe
O23 - Service: BrSplService (Brother XP spl Service) - brother Industries Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: McAfee Services (mcmscsvc) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcmscsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Proxy Service (McProxy) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mcproxy\mcproxy.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SpamKiller Service (MSK80Service) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MSK\MskSrver.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Restore Helper (RetroExp Helper) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\rthlpsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Retrospect Express HD Launcher (RetroExpLauncher) - Dantz Development Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrorun.exe
O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6253\SAService.exe

--
End of file - 12113 bytes

Edited by Nawtheasta, 26 February 2008 - 09:34 AM.

#10 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

The only obvious ( to me) symptom that is still there is the Red X for the C drive in My Computer. I don't know if this means anything but when I click on My Computer for a fraction of a second the original C icon is there . It is then replaced with the Red X.

Here's a fix for your icon. It's usually caused by someone/something attempting to customise the icon.
The following registry fix will remove the non-default key where the customization takes place, allowing the default icon to be restored.

We need to backup the registry before we continue.
Registry edits can be potentially dangerous; we can revert to the backup if needed.

Go to Start > Run
Type:regedit
Click OK.
  • On the leftside, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
  • Go up to "File > Export"
    • Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
      Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
      Under "Filename" put backup
  • Choose to save it to C:\ or somewhere else safe so that you will remember where you put it (don't put it on the desktop!)
  • Click save and then go to File > Exit.
This is so the registry can be restored to this point if we need it. It may take a minute. Just let it go until it's done.

Highlight and copy the contents of the code box below to a blank notepad.
Save it to the desktop as;

Filename: fix.reg
Save as type: All Files (*.*)

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Drive Icons]

Double click fix.reg and allow it to merge with the registry.
If the icon is still present when you open My Computer, restart the computer.

Select the following with HijackThis.
With all windows (including this one!) closed (close browser/explorer windows), please select "fix checked"

Reboot your computer, post a new Hijackthis log, and tell me how your computer is running.

Edited by SifuMike, 26 February 2008 - 01:23 PM.

Posted Image

#11 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Dear Sifumike February 26, 2008
Everything seems to be running fine. I followed the steps. Double clicked on the fix.reg file that we put on desktop. It seemed to function as you advised it would.Red X was still there. Restarted, still there.
Ran HJT and put a check against O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {9239E4EC-C9A6-11D2-A844-00C04F68D538} - (no file)
selected fix checked. Red X still there. Did a restart. red X is still there.

If this is just a remnant of the infection and if it will cause no harm and only serve as a reminder to this adventure then I guess I could live with it. Is this something that updates to Super antispyware might deal with? Could I check back here or a different forum on BleepingComputer in the future to see if a fix becomes known?

Also when I restarted after HJT fix check i got a warning box during windows shutdown about a file missing or could not be found ( I don't remember). computer still shut down and started up ok. Is this anything to be concerned with?
Again I really appreciate your time. Here is my HJT log.

Scan saved at 2:44:14 PM, on 2/26/2008

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brsvc01a.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Dantz\RETROS~1\retrospect.exe

O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\jusched.exe"
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll

--
End of file - 12160 bytes

#12 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

Your log looks clean. :blink:

Uninstall ComboFix, go to to Start > Run & type in ComboFix /u
Make sure there's a space between Combofix and /
Then hit enter.

This will uninstall Combofix, delete any of its related folders and files (Qoobox
VundoFix Backups, Avenger, Deckard, _OTMoveIt
), reset your clock settings, hide file extensions, hide the system/hidden files and resets System Restore again.

Please read and follow How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!
as well as
How to prevent Malware' by miekiemoes

If this is just a remnant of the infection and if it will cause no harm and only serve as a reminder to this adventure then I guess I could live with it. Is this something that updates to Super antispyware might deal with? Could I check back here or a different forum on BleepingComputer in the future to see if a fix becomes known?

No, SuperAntiSpyware will not fix it as it is not malware, but it would not hurt anything to run it.

We can try some more registry fixes and see if they work. Let me look around and see what I can find.
If I cant fix it, then I will refer you to another forum for help. :thumbsup:

Also when I restarted after HJT fix check i got a warning box during windows shutdown about a file missing or could not be found ( I don't remember). computer still shut down and started up ok. Is this anything to be concerned with?

That is normal message, as we removed a registry key and windows notified that it was removed.

Edited by SifuMike, 26 February 2008 - 03:27 PM.

Posted Image

#13 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

We will try a different reg fix and see what happens.

We need to backup the registry before we continue.
Registry edits can be potentially dangerous; we can revert to the backup if needed.

Go to Start > Run
Type:regedit
Click OK.
  • On the leftside, click to highlight My Computer at the top.
  • Go up to "File > Export"
    • Make sure in that window there is a tick next to "All" under Export Branch.
      Leave the "Save As Type" as "Registration Files".
      Under "Filename" put backup red x
  • Choose to save it to C:\ or somewhere else safe so that you will remember where you put it (don't put it on the desktop!)
  • Click save and then go to File > Exit.
This is so the registry can be restored to this point if we need it. It may take a minute. Just let it go until it's done.

Highlight and copy the contents of the code box below to a blank notepad. Save it to the desktop as;

Filename: RedXfix.reg
Save as type: All Files (*.*)

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons] 
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\c] 
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\c\DefaultIcon]

Double click RedXfix.reg and allow it to merge with the registry.
If the icon is still present when you open My Computer, reboot the computer.

Let me know what the outcome is.

Edited by SifuMike, 26 February 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#14 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the further instructions. Unfortunately It would not load the file. Denial message was:

Cannot import C:\documents and settings\Ralph\Desktop\RedXfix.reg The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within registry editor

( I had to write down and type in the text here. The denial box does not let me cut and paste the message. I believe I have typed it correctly)
I think my inclination is to just live with the Red X If is only and just an Icon change. Everything else , except my DVD burner ,seems to be ok. The DVD Burner is not being recognized but it has been acting odd for a while. I will give Dell a call about this.
Do you think there is any harm in not pursuing the Red X further at this time?
Best Regards

#15 SifuMike

SifuMike

malware expert

• Staff Emeritus
  • 15,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

Hi Nawtheasta,

I think my inclination is to just live with the Red X If is only and just an Icon change. Everything else , except my DVD burner ,seems to be ok. The DVD Burner is not being recognized but it has been acting odd for a while. I will give Dell a call about this.
Do you think there is any harm in not pursuing the Red X further at this time?

If you can access the C drive then you put this on hold for now. :thumbsup:

Personally, I get annoyied when computers dont work correctly.

If you want to persue the problem further, I would suggest posting to the Windows XP Home and Professional forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/
The techs in that forum specialize in matters pertaining to Windows issues. Let them know that you have been to this forum and that no malware was found.

When posting to any other forum, do not post a HijackThis log or the post will simply be moved back to this forum for infection analysis. That is what HijackThis is used for and that is what we specialize in here in this forum.

Also, when posting in any other forum for assistance, give as much detail as possible regarding any issues that are occurring. The more information they have, the better the techs can analyze the issue and make any recommendations for resolving it.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users