Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Media Center 2005

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:12 AM

is there a way to get a copy of Windows XP Media Center 2005 for no cost?

I have a (Acer Incorporated) Certificate of Authenticity with Product Key but no software.

If acer were to do it they would need me to send pc to them and they would put the image back on.

contact Microsoft?

when i upgraded to Vista (wel just before i did) i contacted Acer (my PC manufacturer) for my E700 Pentium D 2.8Ghz, 1GB Ram (now 2GB) and 160GB C: & D: portioned HDD, and asked them how to burn restore disks as they don't provide them anymore, they wouldn't tell me how to burn my XP Media Centere Edition 2005 OS, so i went ahead to install vista, maybe that was a stupid thing but i'm not experiencing any problems. Would the image be still on the HDD somewhere????

i have access to Windows XP Driver for my system which i've downloaded and burnt on CD.

Edited by Izzy, 22 February 2008 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:28 AM

is there a way to get a copy of Windows XP Media Center 2005 for no cost?

You have to send it in for re-imaging or cd's if they offer them. Cannot get it for free as I would assume you wiping out your recovery partition is not covered under any warranty.

#3 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

I have it on my laptop, but newer version I think, will send it to you, hehe. nah kidding.

I dont think there is any other way to get it but to send your computer in, and I doubt it would be free..

#4 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:28 AM

nothing unusual.

only if the idiots would tell you how to burn recovery discs in the first place, but they don't seem to like the idea of us doing that.

never mind i suppose i'll leave it the way it is.

i doubt the original image on the hidden partion would exhist now with Vista as they say it wipes it out, i know ALT+F10 during bootup starts the recovery but i have tried that and doesn't work.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Well...at this date, I would suspect eBay would be the logical place to try, if one wants to buy a copy.

The fact that you specified "free" doesn't indicate that.

FWIW: You could have imaged your entire system before you dumped MC for Vista...and had more options than you currently have. May be something to consider in the future.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:29 AM

If you have a computer with a legitimate Windows XP Media Center sticker on it (with the code intact), you can order the restore CD's from the company that made the computer. Most will charge a modest fee (about $20 US) and will mail them out to you (as long as they still have them in their inventory).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:07 PM

I did have my HDD imaged before i installed Vista incase the installation went stupid, but the computer store person said that the image annot be burned to Discs, either didn't want me to know that its possible, which i do know it is, or they didn't want to do it, but my old system has restore discs which seem to be Norton Ghost made ones. so i don't know.

The COA stick on the system is Acer Incorporated, so i do not know if i purchased a disc from eBay (which i have looked but there aren't any there) would allow me to use it as each disc has its own COA and i don't know if you could install it without a produck key or edit the registry to put in my product key.

would it be illegal if i downloaded a copy of MCE but installing with my Product Key? I suppose it still comes under Pirate.

if i could find someone with the same PC Aspire E700 with MCE and could get restore discs, would that work to install? meaning i change the product key because i would guess it would install there product key. BUt another question to that, the acer guy i spoked to if i were to have restore disc it wouldn't work anyway i can't see why as it will al be on disc. becaue my old acer system i upgraded the HDD to a larger one, which is blank as can be and it worked. Wouldn't be in the BIOS, but then Vista probably destroyed it too.

Then i could post on eBay wanting restore discs for my PC. well i'm guessing there isn't such thing as free but i suppose if i could get something cheap it wouldn't be so bad.

The company will not send recovery discs, as not only Acer, but HP and Compaq no longer provide discs anymore, just image on HDD which means the tower needs to be returned to factory for re-imaging and will cost a bit, especially freight, and there time as there won't be warranty.

Edited by Izzy, 22 February 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

I understand the company's attitude...after all, XP has been around for 8 years now and most (there's always an exception) that purchase computers from box-makers receive all the advice/info re making restore disks when they make the purchase.

And, at the moment, they are more interested in pushing Vista, rather than worrying about an O/S whose original deadline for sale has already passed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users