Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Hkdrv.sys File

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wakanwanbli

wakanwanbli

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

Can anyone help with this.

My last post was for help with finding and installing a driver that was deleted when I used combofix to rid my laptop of trojans/viruses. I was directed by a member of this site to a website where I was able to download hkdrv.sys but now I need help with to do with this. My original post is below.

Can anyone help me to install this file so I can recover use of my CD-R(D: drive)

Thank you

ORIGINAL POST:

"Hello

I would greatly appreciate any advice on this issue. I recently used combofix to remove several tojans/viruses that I had previously been unable to get rid of using other methods. I found the combofix suggestion/instructions on this site here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix. I am happy to report it worked but a side effect of this fix was that I believe what is called the HKDRV driver appears to have been removed. It is my understanding that this is associated with my D: drive(CD-ROM) and indeed this is now not working and does not show up in my Windows Explorer. I have a Toshiba Satellite A75. I have posted the combofix log below. Can anyone help me with this and recommend how I can find and install this missing drive. Thank you very much"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:55 AM

<<...but now I need help with to do with this.>>

Well, that's not a very clear delineation...of what you view as your current problem. More info would help someone to try to help you.

Louis

#3 wakanwanbli

wakanwanbli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

My CD-ROM Drive is no longer recognized, does not work....as I said...I lost the hkdrv.sys when cleaning my computer....so now I have downloaded this file but I do not know how to install this, or if I should just place it in my system32?

My apologies if I was being obtuse.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:15 PM

No problem...most posters are so busy trying to make the urgency of their situation clear...that they omit basic details in the post that might be useful...you're not the first, you won't be the last :thumbsup:.

Now...

What is the exact wording of the error message you received...and when does it appear?

From what I see, the file you mention is either malware or insignificant...no one seems to have a clue.

Exact wording, please...thanks.

As for your CD drive....take a look in Disk Management and tell me if it is reflected there. Then...take a look in My Computer and tell me if it is reflected there.

Then take a look in Event Viewer, looking for any errors that relate to any drive (Disk 0, Disk 1, etc.).

Louis

#5 wakanwanbli

wakanwanbli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:34 PM

I got some help on the issues I was having, and all looks good. Thanks for responding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users