Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Loading Os

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cmiani2002

cmiani2002

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

I run windows XP Pro x64.
I just changed an old DVD-rom with a new one and after i was done this problem come up.
When i try to start windows normally, from the C:\ drive, I get the "Error Loading OS" message and the boot stops.
However when I boot from the installation disk, it boot just fine and everyting works normally.
I can see all of my drive in the boot sequence and I checked for conflicts in my device manager.

I checked for memory and startup viruses and I run CCleaner to fix a possibly corrupted registry, I also did a system restore to no avail, everytime I change the boot sequence to have the C:\ drive boot first, I get the same message.

Any input?

Also, should I decide to re-install windows, will I loose all of my shortcuts and such for the installed programs?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Cmiani,
Well I'm not the most familiar with your problem, but the more info you can give the more likely I (or more likely someone else) can have an answer. What kind of DVD-ROM are you installing IDE or SATA? What kind of hard drive do you have, IDE or SATA? If both are IDE are they on the same cable? Have you tried removing the new DVD and trying to boot without a CD drive at all?

As for the second question, that depends on what kind of computer you have(eg. Dell, HP) and what restore options are available for your computer. Some computers have a "non-destructive restore" option but not all.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,549 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:03 AM

First step: Take a look in the BIOS and see if the system reflects current drives installed...properly.

Second step: Check the boot options as designated in the BIOS. Ensure that the hard drive is the first option.

The fact that you can boot from the CD...reinforces the likelihood that the boot priority may be incorrect.

Sounds to me (based on limited info provided) that your boot.ini file may be awry...or your BIOS is pointing to the wrong boot source.

Do you have an XP CD?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users