Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compatibiliy Of Vista Complete Backup & Restore With Rev Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jamesup

jamesup

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:20 PM

I would like to ask if there is someone with a Vista computer who also has an Iomega REV drive installed who can run a test to determine if they can execute a "Complete PC Backup & Restore" using the REV drive as the backup destination? The operation to run this test is as follows. Put a blank, formatted disk in the REV drive, then press Start, then Control Panel, then go to Backup & Restore Center, then press the Backup Computer tab, then "after looking for backup devices" finishes, select "on one or more DVD's", then select REV drive, then press "next" twice, then press "Start Backup". At that point a screen will appear that has written, "Windows is saving the Backup" and "Preparing to Create Backup". If this screen remains for a few minutes, and progress is indicated by the advancing blue bar, then the backup will be successful. If the backup is not successful, then an error message will appear that says, "Media is not UDF". I always am forced to terminate the backup at the error message, "Media is not UDF". I will be eternally grateful to anyone who will run this procedure and email me the result at ***************. At Iomega Technical Support there is no one there who has Vista installed who can run this procedure. Thanks. James

Edited by usasma, 21 February 2008 - 06:31 PM.
Edited out email address

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jamesup

jamesup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

Bleepingcomputer.com Viewer: After a day and a half of attempting to solve the problem that my 35 GB USB REV drive was unable to store a Complete PC Backup in Vista, I have determined that the procedure is possibly possible. The closest I arrived at success is by uninstalling the REV drive software. In this instance Vista recognized the REV drive as a CD drive. I then ran the Complete Backup and Restore program with the REV drive recognized as a CD drive. The backup then completed successfully, and after reinstalling the REV drive software, the Vista Restore program recognized the backup image. The problem with that circumstance was that although the same files were recognized in the REV drive backup as in the external hard disk backup, two backup files on the REV drive had a total of 11 GB less than the total of the same two files backed up on the hard drive. I found no evidence that compression had been used in backing up on the REV drive. I called Iomega and was told that compression is used in backing up to a REV disk. The Rep. said the backup should be O.K., since no errors were reported while backing up, and all files were verified. I attempted to copy the backup image on the hard drive to the 35 GB REV drive; however, 35 GB wasn't enough space for the copy, which was 38 GB. Perhaps, copy of the image to a 70 GB REV drive might work in the Vista Restore operation. Thank you for your interest and attention. James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users