Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Wont Stay Off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

I have personally never heard or encounterd this but a guy at work asked me what would cause a computer to turn it self back on after powering down. He plays around putting old computers together when he gets spare parts. He has run into this problem a few times. He will turn on the computer allow it to post (No HDD) then turn it off the computer will completely shut off then turn it self back on. He has tried to remove the power switch wires to the case, Tried a new power supply, new power cord, Different memory, Diff CPU. The only thing that works, obviously is a different motherboard. I told him its problably just a bad MB although I have no Idea what would cause it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

WAG- a "wake-on" option in the BIOS?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:52 PM

I thought about WOL or Wake on Lan but He said he didn't have anything connected to it.

Edit: could be a faulty reading though. I will tell him to check the settings and see if that works

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 February 2008 - 04:53 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:18 PM

In some BIOS's I've seen there are "wake-on" options other than LAN, but it would still be located in the same place

Edited by garmanma, 21 February 2008 - 05:18 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:47 PM

there's a remember last state for power on, if you disconnect the power and reconnect, the computer's boots

there's also a power management setting that requires a bios to be compliant with a certain standard when you install an advanced os like xp

I used to run into a lot of these problems with old computers, some bios's reacted like the olden days of at power supplies and you would get the "it's ok to shut down screen" with an atx switching power supply

tell him to check for a bios update on those old motherboards

Edited by DaChew, 21 February 2008 - 05:48 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users