Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malfunctioning keyboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NoonDay

NoonDay

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Not sure if this is the correct discussion group, but I have an unusual problem. My kids use a Compac Presario running Windows ME, with a USB keyboard. A few of the keys don't work c,s,d and the z key types a 1. I suspect malware may be the problem and used McAfee and Spyware Doctor to clean it up.

Aside from the keyboard everything else seems to work OK. My kids have resorted to using the on-screen keyboard to type in the missing letters.

Anyone have any thoughts on a fix for this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:09 PM

It could be keyboard itself not working. Have your kids spilled anything sticky like soda or juice on it? That tends to muck up a keyboard pretty well, especially since those keys are all in the same area. It is trange that it would type a 1 though when you press z. Have you unplugged the keyboard and plugged it back int?

#3 NoonDay

NoonDay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:37 PM

Based on Grinler's suggestion, I figured there is no known malware that would cause this problem. I took the keyboard apart and discovered that it consists of 3 sheets of plastic with a circuit board appearance on two with the middle sheet acting as an insulator. Hit a key complete a circuit and the letter or symbol registers on your PC. Holes are evenly spaced throughout these sheets of plastic to fit over pegs in the base of the keyboard to keep it all aligned. Soda or juice, even just a few drops if you are unlucky, can enter through these holes and corrode the circuitry.
I found the c, s and d keys had corroded and the z key had shorted with the 1 key.

Replaced the keyboard and everything works fine now.

Grinler, thanks for the suggestion.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:25 AM

Excellent...glad that worked out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users