Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Crash, Maybe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

I am getting the error message "error loading operating system" when the system boots. I read another post that suggested that the hard drive might be damaged/crashed. I went with this suggestion because the hard drive had problems before that i had to fix by repairing/reinstalling(i don't remember which) the OS. the question i have is if it is possible that the hard drive controller is the problem not the hard drive itself (or possible both) because i have put another used hard drive (one that has tested good on other systems) in and got the same error message. i am about to try reinstalling the OS on the used hard drive just to see if that takes care of the problem. I just don't want to buy a new hard drive and find out that it isn't the problem. Thanks for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

Update
I finished reinstalling the OS and the computer boots fine now so i think I've ruled out the hard drive controller but i would still like to hear back as to if the hard drive controller could be a cause.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:01 PM

It could be a number of things...but it basically (IMO) comes down to the fact that the BIOS is not properly recogning the hard drive which should be bootable.

More detailed reasons include outdated BIOS, screwed-up MBR, or anything else which would disturb/prevent proper recognition of the boot partition/drive.

http://smartcomputing.com/techsupport/deta...p;ErrorID=21747

I would not list the hard drive controller as a suspect...versus the drive itself...since the controller is on the drive, http://smartcomputing.com/techsupport/deta...p;ErrorID=21747

IME, XP will reflect error messages when the HD controller is noticeably bad. These can be found in Event Viewer.

Louis

#4 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the input I'm fairly sure that the hard drive is bad cause I was able to successfully replace the drive and reinstall an OS and now it runs fine. looks like I'm ordering a new drive. :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

New hard drives have never been bigger, faster, and better consumer bargains.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users