Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Enqvwkp

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lindamc

Lindamc

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hi, my desktop was recently hijacked. Although I have managed to get rid of this by downloading some more anti spyware and running this (as norton was not picking up on a problem), i appear to have been left with a toolbar named 'The Enqvwkp', which you cant right click on to delete. I mentioned this to a guy in my work who told me to go into my registry files and delete it from there. I get by using my computer but registry files meant nothing to me. However, he told me to go to run and type regedit, and then do a find on Enqvwkp, this is what i did and it showed the toolbar to be deleted. I therefore deleted this but needless to say the toolbar is still there. When I go to run and type in regedit again, although it doesnt display the toolbar to be deleted again, its obviously finding something but what I dont know because it really just looks like a mass of numbers and letters to me. Reading up on this Enqwvkp on the internet, its obviously something that you dont want on you pc. Can anyone help me get rid of this? I feel that since my computer was hijacked, there is more and more infections being picked up when I run things like norton, ad aware se, spydoctor and Im not sure what to do anymore. Please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

Please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix".
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:08 PM

Thank you, I will give this a go.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Ok. Don't forget to post your log when done.

#5 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi Quietman, have followed your instructions as above and this is a copy of what was brought up in notepad.

SDFix: Version 1.145

Run by Linda McIlwain on 23/02/2008 at 17:28

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Windows Registry Values
Restoring Windows Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat - Deleted
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat - Deleted
C:\DOCUME~1\LINDAM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\ac8zt2.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\rs.txt - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1344.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-02-23 17:35:21
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Philips\\Media Manager\\Philips Media Manager.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Philips\\Media Manager\\Philips Media Manager.exe:*:Enabled:Philips Media Manager"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.0\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.0\\waol.exe:*:Enabled:AOL 9.0"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msncall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msncall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.0 (Phone)"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! FT Server"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (Phone)"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1201369681\\ee\\aolsoftware.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\1201369681\\ee\\aolsoftware.exe:*:Enabled:AOL Shared Components"
"C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe:*:Enabled:Bonjour"
"C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\iTunes\\iTunes.exe:*:Enabled:iTunes"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.0\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AOL 9.0\\waol.exe:*:Enabled:AOL 9.0"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msncall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msncall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.0 (Phone)"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (Phone)"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Wed 26 Jan 2005 54,384 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0\aolphx.exe"
Wed 26 Jan 2005 156,784 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0\aoltray.exe"
Wed 26 Jan 2005 31,344 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0\RBM.exe"
Sat 28 Jan 2006 0 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\HPCD.sys"
Sun 12 Feb 2006 4,348 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Thu 20 Dec 2007 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.tmp"
Fri 21 Dec 2007 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv02.tmp"
Tue 15 Jan 2008 0 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Local Settings\Temp\BIT1B.tmp"
Tue 15 Jan 2008 0 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Local Settings\Temp\BIT2E.tmp"
Thu 24 Jan 2008 85,946 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Iain MacLugash\Local Settings\Temp\BIT6.tmp"
Thu 9 Aug 2007 400 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\COH\COH32LU.reg"
Thu 9 Aug 2007 403 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\COH\COHDLU.reg"
Sat 23 Feb 2008 5,692 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE\SBE2.tmp"
Sat 23 Feb 2008 5,946 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV\TempRec\TempSBE\SBE3.tmp"

Finished!

And, just to let you know, 'The Enqvwkp' toolbar has disappeared. Fantastic!

Do I need to do anything else now?

Linda

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

#7 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:35 AM

Hi Quietman,

I've done what you said about creating a new restore point and cleanmgr.....

Everything seems to be great now with computer. I cant thank you enough for the help you have given me. Its very appreciated as it was starting to get me down.

Feels like a new computer again.

Thanks again for everything

Linda

P.S. Just read your article in reply to a post by SWAS. It said about the infection this guy had about being a backdoor trojan and from your reply, its definately not one you want. Out of interest - was mine anything this serious?

Edited by Lindamc, 24 February 2008 - 07:32 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

Your welcome.

I take all infections as serious but backdoors and rootkits are among the worst. Your infection was related to Adware.Agent which is responsible for adding BHOs/Toolbars.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
"Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
"IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings".
"Block Unwanted Parasites with a Custom Hosts File" - Instructions for the MVPS HOSTS File

#9 Lindamc

Lindamc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

Ok, I will work my way through these links you have provided.

Thanks again

Linda

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

:thumbsup: