Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shutdown, Problems/solutions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nfithteen

Nfithteen

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:37 PM

From the start of this week my PC has been shutting down after 10-20min of use. I am currently running:

- Asus M8V-E SE
- ATi Extream AX550
- AMD Athlon 64
- E-MU 0404

I have had this problem a few times in the past, during this time my system was restarting. To resolve the problem i made a visit the shop i had my system built. The engineers fixed the problem, adding an additional fan supporting the CPU fan and changing a few system settings.

Over time i personally cleaned the system which did involve re-assembling. I took the ESD precautions, no wrist strap or mat, just frequently discharged myself by touching a non-painted metal surface. During the cleaning process i did not know the heat sink was attached to the CPU with thermal paste. To have them separated did require a little force respectively which i fear could have damaged the CPU. None the less my system was running smoothly.

However the problem still reoccurs only recently the computer shuts down. My most recent problem had been due to a faulty RAM, which i then replaced during early January, where also i had a fresh version of XP Pro installed.

A little over a month has past and i am faced with the same frustrating problem of shutting down. I am refusing for the mean time to return to the shop and pay for a problem which i thought got fixed the last few times i visited!

Suggestions on how to over come this frustrating problem permanently?

Would buying a new CPU do the job?

Is it anything to do with the BIOS?

Please, as this it is very time consuming to repair and heavy on the pocket,

Cheers

Edited by Nfithteen, 21 February 2008 - 01:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

The first year that I had a computer (1997), I used to take my system consistently to a local shop for the most routine things (installing Win 95, freezes, etc.). When I picked it up, I always made sure that I had some idea of what they had "repaired", why it needed repairing, etc. I did this not because I intended to do such "repairs" myself...but because I felt it was the same process that anyone should take when having anything "repaired" by anyone...be it an auto, a computer, a home, etc.

Eventually, I reached a point where I realized that I could do these things...as easily and cheaper than my local friends at the shop. I became aware of the massive amounts of documentation that exist on the Web...for many of the common things which uninformed users like myself...can utilize in solving many (not all) of the situations which, in earlier times, seemed totally beyond me.

What's my point?

If you have any confidence that you can...define the problem, expend the time/energy it takes to research a solution, invest time (not money) in implementing said solutions...then you can kiss your local repair shop...goodby. And you will learn more and be more confident of your system and its capabilities and performance.

You have told us some facts, some "suspicions"...that would lead me to immediately assert (without seeing the system) to assume that you have a cooling/overheating situation, somewhat self-inflicted.

Even if this is just a suspicion and not a fact, I think you need to take steps to eliminate it from consideration.

Since you have removed your heatsink from the CPU previously, I suggest that you start there. You don't mention whether you applied thermal paste when you reattached it. You don't mention a check in the BIOS for CPU temperatures immediately after an unplanned shutdown. But my guess is that it won't hurt one bit...and may help...if you remove the heatsink properly, scrape the residue off, and apply a fresh bit of Arctic Silver before reassembly.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruc...l_dual_wcap.pdf

If your problems do not disappear, you have merely invested a few moments into correcting a previous error/oversight. If your problems disappear, you have gained knowledge, confidence in your system...and saved monies that you might have continued to spend (needlessly).

If it were me, I might even just go with a new heatsink/fan combo for the CPU...the value received offsets the cost, IMO.

I would consider a new CPU only if I had enough evidence that my old CPU was incapable of doing the job it's designed to do.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2008 - 02:10 PM.

#3 Nfithteen

Nfithteen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:38 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the tips, in the past i am forced only to go to the shop when a 'microsoft engineer' is required.

When i reapplied the heat sink i did not clean, remove or touch the paste i simple placed it back on top of the CPU.

I did not look up on the BIOS for the CPU temp.

So are you saying that this problem can be due to a over heating problem, if so why does it reoccur?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:49 PM

If it's overheating...it reoccurs because the system is building up heat every second that something is working (not literally, but close enough).

The CPU is analogous to a motor. The longer that motor runs, the harder that it has to work...the more heat buildup, unless effective heat dissipation is applied.

Think what would happen to your auto if your cooling system fails, for whatever reason. Engine gets hotter and hotter...until it reaches the point of just dying. Then you either rebuild it or replace it. Been there, done that :flowers:.

Let's say that the heatsink/fan is not as effective...because no thermal paste was used. You start the system, heat builds up, system shuts down to protect itself (cars don't do that). System cools, becomes bootable...cycle repeats.

I had a CPU fan die on me back in 1997...fortunately, the system warned me that it was overheating and I took it in (I wasn't knowledgeable enough to do it myself then) for replacement of the fan/heatsink. Not everyone is fortunate enough to catch it in time.

I'm just an amateur at this sharing of information taking place here :thumbsup:, you need to await some advice from someone who is more knowledgeable and/or professionally experienced at resolving these sorts of issue.

I can change a tire, but I cannot do much more than that on an auto:). It's the same with computers.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users