Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up A Partitioned Hdd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 spree

spree

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

Apologies if this is in the wrong section

I have a 160gb HDD split into four partitions, all NTFS. Two are sub 10gb and hold XP and Office, the other two are larger, one holds my itunes library and the accompanying software and the other holds pretty much everything else

If i were to back them up, would i need four separate HDDs or could they all be backed up to one larger drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:36 PM

You need a large drive and not 4 different ones and u can create in the backup drive 4 different folders, probably the software you will use for backup will handle this.

Of course you may use 4 different drives but its totally unnecessary and the cost unjustified.

If i was you:

i Would get A 250 GB external HD
Select a software for backup or use the one Provided with the OS.
This software will allow me to backup the 4 Partitions into 1 External Drive.

and if u have large files like Videos for example that you don't need to access every minute you can store them on the backup drive and save the space on your PC.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

Backup your personal data files & Itunes music only. Dont backup the entire thing, its a waste of time

Lets say your hard drive fails a year from now. You will then need to install Windows from an original cd & reinstall all the software. You wont be able to just restore your entire backup.
Remember, when you install a program it makes entries into the registry and updates files etc. If you just restore your backup those entries wont be there & the programs wont work.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

You might also consider creating an "Image" of each partition (or drive). I do that about once a month, as it will restore everything (even the OS) in the event that your HD dies. It is equivalent to backing up.

The 2 programs I have used are True Image by Acronis and Ghost by Symantec. The entire image can take about 15-20 minutes to burn and you can then transfer that to a safe place.

Good luck.

DR

#5 Wassim

Wassim

• Members
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:58 AM

I agree with Eysee, back up your personal data, not the whole thing.
"Stuffy Hall Admin of the Typing Skills Enhancing School Program"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

Disk imaging software is probably the way to go...if you have a lot of files (e.g., video/music/graphics) which you don't have duped somewhere.

Programs such as those mentioned by Rigacci...allow users to take a "snapshot" of everything on the system...and to access it any time, for any reason, in the future. And it eliminates the need to reinstall the O/S, Windows updates, programs, and reactivate. You can also retrieve individual files of any type from a disk image, at any time.

Users often use "backup" and "image" in the same manner, as you will find if you do a Google search.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 February 2008 - 12:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users