Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chage Operating System To Linux Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 millerst

millerst

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

How would I go about changing my operating system from Windows Vista to Ubuntu on a dell computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

Download the live CD, burn it, and when it loads, double click on the install icon and follow the directions. Select "Guided: Use entire disk" when it asks for the method. (Note, formats the entire hard disk, so if you're just trying out Ubuntu then don't do this.)

Edited by madman6510, 21 February 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#3 millerst

millerst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

Okay, i burnt it to a disk, using Infrarecorder... but when I restart my computer it doesn't load the disk... it goes right into windows?

What do I do?

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

Have you tried going into the BIOS, this can be done by pressing F1 or F10 (sometime another key) at the boot menu it will say somewhere at the bottom press ?? to enter setup.

Then you will have to search for a boot section. You will want to change the boot order to ATAPI CD, or just CD-ROM before Hard Disk C: is set to boot. When done save and quit the BIOS.

It should boot up with the Ubuntu Live CD. Also, try re-burning the CD if that does not work, it might not have burned right, change the speed to 4x for data CD's.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

If you need anythingelse just ask.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 millerst

millerst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

Have you tried going into the BIOS, this can be done by pressing F1 or F10 (sometime another key) at the boot menu it will say somewhere at the bottom press ?? to enter setup.

Then you will have to search for a boot section. You will want to change the boot order to ATAPI CD, or just CD-ROM before Hard Disk C: is set to boot. When done save and quit the BIOS.

It should boot up with the Ubuntu Live CD. Also, try re-burning the CD if that does not work, it might not have burned right, change the speed to 4x for data CD's.

Hope this helps,

-Steve

If you need anythingelse just ask.

Hi Steve,

I changed the boot sequence, but it never did anything... Ubuntu never loaded, so I guess it didn't burn to the disk? I used a DVD burner, and I used what the Ubuntu website said to use... I don't understand why it isn't working?

#6 millerst

millerst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hmm, I read on wikipedia that Vista can only write image files on a DVD, not a CD... is this true?

#7 millerst

millerst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

A dvd didn't work either... I give up, I guess linux just isn't for me...

Edited by millerst, 21 February 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#8 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:58 PM

Hmm, did you burn a data disk? Or did you burn it as an ISO? (If there's only one file on the disk, try burning it as an image.)

#9 millerst

millerst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:03 AM

Well, I did burn it as an ISO image file -- twice on to a CD ROM and once onto a DVD RW... It has to be a ISO image correct? Or should I attempt to install it using a data disk?

#10 ellipsis

ellipsis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:34 AM

The contents of the ISO file need to be written to the CD, not the .iso file itself. In InfraRecorder the 4th option from the left is "Write the contents of a disc-image to a CD". Click that, select the ubuntu .iso file, set the burn speed to a safe 8x and burn away. Should work now, if the CD isn't damaged in any way.

Edited by ellipsis, 22 February 2008 - 11:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users