Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Geforce Fx5500 Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 protocell

protocell

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:50 AM

i was playing warcraft: the frozen throne on my pc and then suddenly it crashed. i restarted it and tried again to play but everytime i try to open it and the game loads its screen the mouse and the keyboard has already stopped functioning. meaning the mouse is turned on but unclickable and when i tried to press the "Caps Lock" key to try if the "Caps Lock" LED will turn on, it did not respond. but what is strange is that the graphics screen of the game is still running and even the sound is still functioning only that i cannot use the mouse and keyboard.

i did not let myself get beaten by that symptom so i looked on the NVIDIA Control Panel and tried adjusting the settings if ever i previously set it to a very high configuration but just right after NVIDIA Control Panel window opened, it started again to halt. i am sure that the video card driver is updated. actually i downloaded the driver directly on the nvidia website. i repeated that kind of troubleshooting up to three times until i decided to open up my cpu.

i first tried running the cpu w/o anything connected, just the power supply cord and looked if the video card is sounding ok but i looked at its cooling fan and found out that it is not running so i immediately shut it down. i removed it from the AGP slot and cleaned it up just a little making sure not to damage the video card and replaced it back and tried to boot the cpu again w/o anything connected. when i turned it on, i observed how will the video card respond and looked at the fan.

the fan did not rotate immediately after i pressed the cpu's power button. it took some time before it rotated and it started very slow before going fast. i had just bought the video card a few months ago and this similar phenomeon happened to my previous video card. that's why i bought a new one (my current video card) that i thought will not exhibit the same symptoms that i had with my previous one. can anyone please help me on what is happening to my video card now. here is my pc specs even though it is already old:

CPU: Intel Pentium IV 2.26GHZ
MEMORY: 512MB DDR400
HD: one 160GB, one 80GB
VIDEOCARD: NVIDIA GeForce FX5500
MOTHERBOARD: ECS PT800CE-A

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

what is the make and model of your power supply?

wattage also?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 protocell

protocell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:22 AM

when i assembled my pc, i chose a casing that has already a power supply included so for sure it is not of a branded type but i know the wattage, 350W. i already removed the power from my floppy drive and one CDROM to save power so i think the power supply is not overloaded. the power supply is of China made and also the casing which it was included.

so far my video card is back to normal but i don't know when will the symptom appear again but just in case, i would like to know what is wrong with it.

#4 dcloud

dcloud

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 05:32 AM

power supply included so for sure it is not of a branded type but i know the wattage, 350W.

That's your problem right there - get a better (and bigger) PSU.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

I would rather have a sparkle 250 watt power supply as a 350 watt no name

claimed wattage means little with no names, and among the branded power supplies it's not a good measurement

knowing the brand and the full specs is better

don't worry the problem will sort itself out soon, even with the extra components disconnected, if the power supply is going out, it will get worse
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 protocell

protocell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:55 AM

so the bottom line here is that my PSU is the cause of the problem on my video card?.... :thumbsup:

now i'm having a good idea... :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users