Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted "jump" Or "redirect" Program

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hootowl009

hootowl009

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

I went to a website and picked up a program (unknowingly) that will not let you go directly to a selected web address. What it does, is sends you to a related website, which is a subscriber to their service, and has numerous sites listed of related items.
You cannot hit the back button and get out of it. You have to go to home. Ultimately, you cannot go directly to the site that you requested. Watching the address line you see the word "jump" or "redirect" flash up briefly. I would like to know the name of this program, and HOW TO GET RID OF THIS ITEM. I have Trend MicroVirus on the computer, and a scan did nothing to help the problem.

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:00 PM

Hello hootowl009 and welcome. I would like you to do this and post back the log. I'm going with,you have XP installed.

Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opers browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post log and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hootowl009

hootowl009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:30 PM

I did not say what system I had. My bad. I have the Vista program. Will that change the steps? Will this program conflict with the Trend Micro Virus that is all ready on the PC?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

Fortunately SAS will run in Vista and not conflict with TM. ATF Cleaner will not.

Edited by boopme, 21 February 2008 - 05:13 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 hootowl009

hootowl009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

RAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 02/22/2008 at 10:04 PM

Application Version : 3.9.1008

Core Rules Database Version : 3408
Trace Rules Database Version: 1400

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:31:14

Memory items scanned : 212
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7082
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 99834
File threats detected : 3

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\user@enhance[2].txt
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\user@richmedia.yahoo[1].txt
C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\user@toseeka[1].txt

I ran the SAS program, as instructed. It seems that I still have the same problem. These are just ordinary tracking cookies. I am still open for any ideas. It seems that if you have a specific web address, it will go to it ok. The problem is when you have a list of websites from the search window, the jump and redirect items are shown and you get a list of like sites.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,087 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

What type of anti-virus are you using? Have you tried doing a full system scan in "Safe Mode"?

Can you get to any of the online anti-virus scan sites? If so try running a scan from there.

Vista Compatible Online Scanners
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner <- Choose the option to remove threats. (Vista compatible but Internet Explorer must be Run as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu and select "Run as administrator" from the context menu.)

F-Secure Online Scanner. <- Follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits) (Vista compatible)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users