Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black/blank Screen At Start Up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ditavandread

ditavandread

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

Hi, my desktop's been having some problems recently. When I switch it on, it loads just fine. However when it comes to the point in time where it is supposed to show the blue start up screen with "Welcome", the entire screen turns blank. And it just remains that way. There isn't any start up tone too. I've tried rebooting numerous times in normal and safe modes and nothing. Is it a graphic card problem? I do not wish to reformat, quite a fair bit of my school work is in there, I can't risk losing them... And it's urgent since I have most of my portfolio files in there...

Please and thank you!

Melesa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:46 AM

Do you have a dual monitor setup currently or in the past?

Do you only have ONE video adapter?

#3 ditavandread

ditavandread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

Pretty much a computer nut here... X_X No dual monitor setup. Mind telling me which is the video adapter? X_X

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:05 AM

Pretty much a computer nut here... X_X No dual monitor setup. Mind telling me which is the video adapter? X_X

A video adapter is what you plug the monitor into.

Here is an example for the reason that I asked you those questions...
Most new computers come with the video adapter built into the motherboard, so even though it is a single circuit board, it has a "separate" device soldered onto it that will be the video adapter (same goes for sound, network, etc in some cases)
Now say for example you buy a new video card and install it into a PCI, AGP, or PCI-E slot and you want that to be your primary video adapter.
So you install the new adapter, plug your monitor into it, and start the computer...
The computer boots up and you can see the BIOS post check and windows loads, now right about the time you are talking about (when the welcome screen is supposed to show) the screen goes black and you cannot see anything.
This is caused by WINDOWS (after windows loads) loading the default hardware profile which tells the computer that the onboard (built into the motherboard) video adapter is the one being used, but since you have the monitor plugged into the new one, windows switched to the onboard and disabled the new adapter.

Now it sounds like this is not your case but it at least gives you a bit of knowledge and insight to what may be going on. Before Windows loads, the bios is controlling which pieces of hardware are used, once windows loads, it will control which hardware is used. Make sense?

Check your bios settings for default vga adapter, or default video adapter.

#5 ditavandread

ditavandread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

I can't seem to access the BIOS setting. No response when I click the supposed keys...

EDIT: I got BIOS Core Version : V6.0
Primary Master: Maxtor 6e040L0
Primary Slave: Maxtor 6yo8olo
Secondary Master HL-DT-ST RW/DVD
Secondary Slave: HL-DT-STDVD-ROM
Primary Video Adapter: PCI

Not sure if these are what you want but yea...

I found out too that
\windows\system\vgaoem.fon seems to be corrupted... Any idea how to fix that?

Edited by ditavandread, 22 February 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

Please post the entire error message for the file you mentioned.

Louis

#7 ditavandread

ditavandread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

Windows could not start. The following file is missing or corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:20 AM

OK, the instructions for correcting this are right there in the message...at least, part of the instructions. Full instructions can be found at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315338

Just take your time...follow instructions step-by-step...and you should be good to go.

Louis

#9 ditavandread

ditavandread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Sorry for the late reply, my internet was screwed up. I don't have the recovery CD, any other alternatives?

-Melesa

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:41 AM

You can usually order the recovery CD's from the manufacturer of your system. They'll cost around $20 (IME) and will take about 4 days to get to you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 ditavandread

ditavandread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:00 AM

Is it possible not to use the recovery disc to get it to work? =/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users