Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Vostro 200 Desktop With Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:54 AM

I just installed an additional hard drive of 250 mb to supplement the orginal drive of 160 mb.
The additional drive has been recognized, but has been lumped together with the orginal drive as 'C'.
How do I go about separating the 2 drives, renaming the second drive as 'D'?
Does this involve partitioning? Am I on the right track in assuming this?
Thanks in advance !
:thumbsup:
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

Did you use the software that came with the disk? Sometimes, that software will copy the entire drive over. To add a drive in XP you need only hook it up properly and it should recognize it.

If it is Cable Select, the boot drive must be the last one while the new drive is first on the cable.

I prefer Master/Slave, making the boot drive, the Master and the new drive the Slave. (Jumpers need to be set to reflect any of these choices.)

Can you go into the disk management? Try Right-click on My Computer>Left-click on Manage. Then click on Disk Management.

Take a screen shot and post that here, if you can. Hit the Print Screen button and then paste into Paint or a Word program.

DR

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:55 AM

I'm not going to say this can't happen, but I'm suspicious. Are you sure the new drive is recognized? When you go to My Computer and right-click on C and choose Properties, does it show the added space? Is it a new unformatted drive? Are the Master and Slave jumpers set correctly? You will need to use Disk Management to recognize the drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the response guys, I went to Seagate's site and found detailed instructions, the hard drive is now functional as 'D'. This system only has internal space for 2 hard drives, so RAID is out of the question, besides the MOBO is set up only for RAID 1.
I bought this system new from Craigslist and am currently ugrading it, I also added more RAM.
Now I need to figure out why the optical drive is not recognized, not even in the bios. I do know that it is getting power because the loading mechanism works, but it will not read any info on any DVD......hmmmm......
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:14 PM

Now I need to figure out why the optical drive is not recognized, not even in the bios.

Bad cable, bad drive, or worst-case scenario, bad IDE buss
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

Word of wisdom for the day: "Too many brewski make for stupid mistaki"

Well it sure helps if the SATA cable is plugged into the MOBO, don't you agree?

Optical drive works fine now......

Thanks for the response bud, much appreciated
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Word of wisdom for the day: "Too many brewski make for stupid mistaki"

Been there, done that. :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users