Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried And Done Everything .. Been Everywhere

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MrClose

MrClose

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:56 PM

Hi Everyone

THIS is probably going to be very hard for everyone to understand.
It, more than likely will sound like babble because, frankly, I have been reduced to a Babbling Mass!

To start, I have a windows xp media center which is really the xp pro.

About two months ago I tried to update some of my drivers, (without knowing anything about doing so).

I first used a site called driveragent and took one of their Free 'introductory' driver updates.

I am not sure but "I Think" that they updated my bios.

I then updated my 163.75 display driver to the 169.xxx driver and That is where my problem began.

From that moment on, my screen colors have never been the same!

I have done the eztune thing (color adjust) about a Million times.
I have done the right click properties stuff in Every combination that can be done.

I have adjusted my monitor a thousand times and I have tried Every software download that promised to return my colors back to their original settings.

I have also posted in Every forum known to man and searched Google .. Endlessly for help.

The colors Just wont sync with the monitor (21" lcd) or return to where they were!

Now if that weren't enough: Since those driver updates, my specs went from the GeForce 6200 TurboCache display adapter to a GeForce 6100!!??
No One, not even the folks in the nvidia forms can explain That.

I rolled back to the 163.75 driver and .. it didn't matter, everything is still the same.
Still reads as a GeForce6100 on Belarc Advisor, Everest, and my own hardware list.

Oh heck, I don't care so much about the 6100-6200 thing, I just want my display colors back to normal.

I do think that the 6100-6200 thing has something to do with it though!

Yep, I even asked the techs at Gateway,(my pc) and Nvidia about all of this .. They're Stumped.

Also tried the restore thing.
Regardless of date, after thirty minutes of it looking like it's doing the restore, afterwards it (PC) always comes up with "Nothing has been changed, couldn't restore because of the Revo Uninstaller date! HUH?

Told you I was babbling. LOL

Thanks Everyone.

MrClose

P.S. I hope that my rant made sense to someone.
I really need help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:27 AM

this is going to be a little testy to do and when you get it fixed stay away from driveragent and windows driver updates

you will have to remove any and all video driver software thru add/remove programs and then uninstall the video adapter in device manager

after you reboot you need to run a cleaner program

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

something like this

read the directions

this is usually hit or miss

we need to start at ground zero and boot up to generic vga adapter

you can either load the latest drives from gateway, but they probably will just refer you to nvidia

good luck, I hate doing this myself
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 MrClose

MrClose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 01:17 AM

Mr DaChew

Ever run into one of Those "Old Farts" on the interstate where they are doing 35 in a 65 zone?

That's Me!!

LOL

Well .. Not really.
I have had 7 citations this past year for agressive speeding on I-95. (huh?)
Agressive speeding?

Its just that I am trying to point out that What seems easy or simple to you youngins .. Is scary and pretty darn fast to us ole timers.

I am Afraid to try what you just said.

I messed up everything thinking that what I was doing was simple .. I'm Sure that I will Never be able to come back here to ask for help if I try to do what you said.
(gotta phone #) LOL

I promise, I'll be back tomorrow night but right now.. This speedin Old Fart needs to retire for the night.

Maybe I should just learn to live with this mess!?

Don't we all wish that we had a youngin PC Geek to call in to look at our mess?
I Mean .. All of us older folks.

Took me Years to believe in the wireless phone! LOL

MrClose

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:19 AM

take your time and read the directions a few times, it's not that hard

do a dry run or two

have the new driver downloaded

I didn't start all this till I was 50
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users