Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excel Worksheet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 popupgotme

popupgotme

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

I was told if changes are save on current excel worksheet that you can recover the original worksheet or that it no longer exist on the hard drive is this true?

I need to find old worksheets. I created a worksheet to keep track of proceeds and updated it almost daily for 9 months. Is it possible for all of these worksheet to still exist on the hard drive?

Sorry with my pea brain I don't even know if this is a dumb question.

Thanks in advance,

popupgotme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

To the best of my knowledge, unless you saved each worksheet separately before making changes to it and then saved THAT worksheet, then you have overwritten the same file with new data. There would be no different files to retrieve practically.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 21 February 2008 - 10:44 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Paul Morgan

Paul Morgan

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 24 February 2008 - 06:47 AM

Hi,
Whoever told to that, doesn't know what they are talking about

changes are save on current excel worksheet that you can recover the original worksheet or that it no longer exist on the hard drive is this true

You still have the original but now it's changed,
Here is one way to back up a file,
http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:zQsqFW...lient=firefox-a

Here is a way with VBA
You can place it in before close and/or before save workbook events,
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)
Dim Msg As String
Dim ans As Integer
Dim fname As String
Dim MyDate
Dim MyMonth
MyDate = Date
MyMonth = Month(MyDate)
Msg = "Would you like to back up file?"
ans = MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo)
If ans = vbYes Then
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Backup\" & MonthName(MyMonth) & "-" & Day(Date) & "-" & Year(Date) & "-" & ThisWorkbook.Name
End If

End Sub
When you close the workbook, it asks if you want to back up the file, choose yes and it will save in a backup folder the workbook name and the date saved, the backup folder must exist for this code to work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users