Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Now That I Got Most Things Going!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kwboom

kwboom

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:16 PM

HI there ..... I had a problem with getting my FSB up to 133 Mghz, but I got that figured out, and now I have some ????

The only problem I could find was that one of my RAM sticks was reading both 100Mghz and 133Mghz. This was not allowing me to run my chip at 133Mghz and once I pulled it out it booted just fine and everything checked out just fine.

My question is that how can some RAM run at both 100Mghz and 133Mghz. I am building a PC just for me out of spair parts I found around and a cheap computer I got off somebody here.... I have 2 128Mghz chips in right now and I have another that when I put it in runs as I stated above and crashes the system??????

Any thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:42 PM

Memory Timings:
@ 250 MHz 2.5-4-4-10 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 200 MHz 2.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

here's the capabilties of my memory from everest

it can run at 200 or 250 at those cas speeds

now if I were to set the bios to run at 250 for the memory and then set the cas level to 2(lower is faster) the computer would crash

cpu-z will also read this from your memory stick

some 133 memory will not run at cas 2 and 100, some will
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Well here is where I am at.....

Pulled a 256 stick out of a working PC but when I put it into my pc the computer will not even go past post..... It will go to the mode select screen for windows and ask you how you want to start (safe mode, etc) and than when you make a selection it will pause for a second or two and than reboot the computer.

I am thinking that it is a PC 100 stick and now that I am running at 133 Mghz it will not except it unless I underclock the pc to 100Mghz......

Now my other ?? is ......

Would I run better at a FSB set to 100 Mghz with more ram (512 Mghz) or would it be better at 133 Mghz FSB, and only 384 meg of ram????

And yes Dachew...... I did reseat the HSF and I am a bit lower, but I have to find a new spot for my case. My desk is right by the floor register and the heat rising is just going right in the case.... that is raising the temp.

Edited by kwboom, 20 February 2008 - 10:05 PM.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:20 PM

you should have read the specs off the 256 with one of the programs I reccomended in the computer it worked in

if you are resourceful enough there are lots of those old computers sitting around somewhere
Chewy

#5 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:33 PM

Well that is kind of why I am learnin' this stuff....... lots of people just throw thies sort of older PC's out with not even knowing what they are throwing out.

#6 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:44 PM

When I had it in the other PC I did use cpuid and it said that it was one of thoes dual chips that will run at 100/133 depending on what the CAS is set to.

At least that is what I think

it had something like 100-2.0-2-2-4 and 133-3.0-3-3-6

IF that makes any sence.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:16 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/46637/understanding-identifying-and-upgrading-the-ram-in-your-pc/

now you are ready for one of the best guides ever written

don't worry, if only some of it makes sense
Chewy

#8 kwboom

kwboom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

I guess I have some reading to do tomorrow........ :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users