Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless For My Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 risngdragon145

risngdragon145

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:05 PM

Hello I need to get my desktop wireless enabled because it is going to be hard to get an ethernet cable to where it is being set up. I saw that there are a bunch of different cards out there but I don't know which one is the best to buy. if you all could give me your opinions It would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

I have been using wireless on and off for about 2 years, it's a iffy proposition, since so much interfers with it and/or blocks it.

I started with a pci card but unless you have a cable going to an external antenna that can be positioned right, i wouldn't suggest that option. Using a usb adapter and even adding a 6 foot extension has given me more flexibility in positioning the receiving unit.

Wired is much better.

Edited by DaChew, 20 February 2008 - 04:09 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 risngdragon145

risngdragon145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:40 PM

Well I'm not to concerned about interference since my apartment has a router and my laptop gets connects easily.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:09 PM

If your only dealing with a 1-2 bdrm apt. 802.11 b/g should be fine. I would recommend one like this I agree with Dachew that you should have one with an external wired antennae it helps with reception. This one is a little expensive but it supports WPA encryption and AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) which is important in an apartment setting. There are less expensive models anything from Netgear, Dlink, linksys, will serve you well. I personally use a Netgear adapter on my FAH machine.

Edit: Since you have a router make sure The advanced security is compatible, otherwise its pointless unless you get another router.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 February 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:30 PM

on a tight budget?

http://3btech.net/liiwi5480usb.html

these work pretty good
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users