Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using wireless router as wireless access point

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnnyLamb

JohnnyLamb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

I have a Dlink 624 wireless router that I used where I used to live. Where I moved there was a wired ethernet system, with ethernet to my part of the house, but I wanted wireless without having to change out the wired router, add extenders etc. Seemed to me that a wireless router should be able to act as a simple access point, but for the life of me I couldn't configure out :thumbsup: how to make it work. I also didn't want to buy a dedicated access point which for supply and demand reasons are more expensive than routers in general, and certainly more expensive than using the router I already own that was going unused. The site linked below explained it both intelligibly and accurately. It's working beautifully now. Changed two settings on the router (disable DHCP, change the router name to be on the wired router's system), and, this little magic trick: connect the ethernet to one of the OUTPUT LAN ports of the wireless router, rather than the WAN port normally used for ethernet connection input.

Now I can sleep again as I can stop puzzling and tinkering over this, can stop alternating between "borrowing" wireless access from neighbors and stringing a 25 foot ethernet cable around my quarters, can return the 80 dollar wireless access point to Best Buy. I love returning things to Best Buy because I don't need them rather than because I can't get them to work.

Here's the link: Turn wireless router into wireless access point

P.S. THis is my first post, so Hi everbody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyLamb

JohnnyLamb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

and I posted it to the wrong forum ... ooops oh well sorry. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users