Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restart Loop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jeremiahbear

jeremiahbear

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400 with Windows XP Pro. The computer is stuck in what seems to be a system restart loop. It keeps saying the following:
The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attemp to restart again?

The it gives me the following options:

1. Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu

2. Continue with system restart

I have tried the 2nd option, system restart and the screen goes black and that is the end, or so it seems from looking at the screen. I have not tried the 1st option because I really do not understand what it means. What does this mean and where do I go from here? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

Do you use the Hibernate feature? Choose the first option. See here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294427
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Da.One

Da.One

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

It gives you that message when you boot?

If so, when you turn on the computer, hit the F8 button for startup options. Choose safe mode. Then turn off auto restart

Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and recovery
uncheck auto restart.

Then the restart cycle shouldn't happen again.

#4 jeremiahbear

jeremiahbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:23 PM

Than you for all of your help. The problem has been fixed. I couldn't get in to safe mode. That option wasn't available in the startup options for some reason. I thought the same thing at first. I went through several different setup changes with no fix. I don't know why I even tried this because theoretically I would think it would have no effect, but I changed the device it booted from. When I chose the cd-rom drive nothing happend, but the second time I chose the NIC, and it booted up and worked like it never had a problem. Maybe it was just something quirky, but I am holding out hope that nothing else fails in the near future. Thanks to all for their help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users