Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Uploading on Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phedre

Phedre

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

First, I apologize if this is in the wrong area, but I'm a newbie to computer type stuff and had no idea where to put it.

Anyways, I recently got a new tower which was built by this man who seemed to have plenty of experience. It comes with Windows XP and I haven't had any trouble with it, except when it comes to uploading. At first I thought it refused to upload anything, but it lets me upload a tiny 1x1 pixel sized icon and thats about all I'm limited too. When I tried uploading an larger pixel sized icon onto livejournal it loaded the page about halfway and then pops up with a "Cannot Display..." . I have tried uploading at several different places(homestead for example) and still have this difficulty. I have also turned off Windows XP Firewall thinking that it might be the reason for all this trouble but I still can't seem to upload. My friend who has experience in computers had me try and check my Network connections and do the following because she says its limiting my data I can transfer and so I was to do the following:

Under Network Tasks, click View Network Connections.
Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Click to clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.

But when I go into that Advanced tab I don't have the area that says Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the internet. So really I'm at a lost for what I'm suppose to do. I'm just hoping that someone on here can help me because I'm going nuts. And I apologize again if this is in the wrong place, or if my information is confusing. Thanks for those who read this and try and help me since I'm about to give up on what to do.

Information about my computer incase you need to know:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
And I use Earthlink for my internet.
Also I have dialup modem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

No offense to your friend, but i think that advise is not safe. By doing that you are turning off your firewall which can be dangerous.

Instead go into network connections, right click on your network connection for the internet, and left click on properties. You will some items listed. Uncheck the qos item and press ok. See if that helps

#3 Phedre

Phedre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:03 PM

No luck with that either, it still does that This page cannot be displayed thing. What I don't get is I can upload a 1x1 pixel sized icon and it'll load fine with no trouble. But it refuses to go over 4096kbs, which is what me and my friend figured out. She thinks there might be something that is controling how much data I'm allowed to transfer, but I have no firewalls on, and we've checked everything possible. So its driving me nuts trying to figure out whats going on.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:07 PM

Click on start, run, and type services.msc and then disable and stop the upload manager. See if that helps. These are all guesses unfortunately right now

#5 Phedre

Phedre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

I did what you said, but there wasn't an upload manager in there. But I really do appreciate your help, since this problem has been frustrating. It's nice when someone offers help and actually listens. I tried a support chat room for troubleshooting, and had to deal with idiots who for some reason thought that I was having issues with sending e-mails, and they weren't even trying to attempt to listen to the whole issue.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2005 - 10:17 PM

I am going to have you do somethuing so i can get an overview of your machine. Not for any other reason.

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users