Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell 2400 With Pci Slots Only.......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wee

Wee

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

Roommate has old Dell Dim. 2400 with only PCI. Want to get a video card and was thinking about an FX 5200 128bit 256mb or and LX 6200 64bit 256mb. Which do you guys think is the better choice. Both are only 50 bucks at the local shop. I notice alot of games only support Geforce 6 series and up, is that the obvious answer????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:16 PM

the 5200 is a very lame chipset, judging from the specs for that computer, about the best you could do is add ram, share
64 MB with the onboard and stick with older games

the onboard is agp, unless you got a lot better chipset going pci would only slow you down

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...sm_en/specs.htm

Edited by DaChew, 20 February 2008 - 12:28 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

Well...this review doesn't seem to suggest that it's fit for gaming at all, http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?art...1610&page=3

And...I'd have to ask...what games, from what era?

Louis

#4 Wee

Wee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

The system has 1 gig of memory and the processor is celeron D @ 2.53. some older games are the Medal of honor games, Orion pirates and we wanted to put Dungeon Siege 2 on it....

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

I had a Dell Dimension 3000, which is the same exact system, except for a few things such as the ram being a bit faster. Anyway, the integrated graphics are terrible for playing games, so I went and spent $115 on an ATI X1300, over a year ago. It wasn't even really worth it then, but I had no choice unless I wanted to buy a new computer. This really helped in older games. I could actually play a few modern games at the time on low settings, with some lag. Older games worked very well though. A big improvement I noticed was in Fable. On my integrated graphics, the ground was just white and the water was bright yellow.... Once I put the card in the ground had dirt, grass, and textures, and the water was clear, and had waves and reflections

The 6200 would be better then the FX 5200. Don't plan on it playing anything well made in the past 3 years though. Keep in mind also as chewy said, the PCI slot is old and has low bandwidth. It's not as good as an AGP or PCIex16 one, but I believe it would be a good upgrade.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:35 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130255

this is about the only card I saw that might be worth the money
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users