Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rita51

rita51

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:54 AM

Just got a new computer. :flowers: I have my older one (about 4 years old) in the family room and hooked up my new one in my bedroom. I got the wireless router all hooked up but now I need to get my e-mail and other files to the new computer. How do I do this? Do I have to copy everything to a CD and then load it to the new one? :thumbsup: Both are Windows XP.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Just create a home network...and transfer files...is one way.

It would be faster to just temporarily connect the hard drives from the old system...to the new system...and move the files.

No need at all to use CDs/DVDs.

Louis

#3 rita51

rita51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Easy for you to say! :flowers: I'm still getting used to CD instead of floppys. As for connecting the hd temp or otherwise, is just out of my league. :thumbsup:
What do you mean "create a home network"?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Setting up a Windows XP home network - http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

Louis

#5 rita51

rita51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:28 PM

Thanks Louis, will check it out.

Rita

#6 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:25 PM

Easiest wa for me would be to take the hard drive out of the old computer and use it as a caddy (i think thats the right term) - you turn it into an external hard drive - and then plug it into the new computer and drag and drop (copy and paste) from old to new computer.

- Well thats how I'd do it

#7 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:26 PM

Rita51
Windows XP has a "files and settings transfer" program that will do it all for you over the network. Its not quite as simple as some make it out to seem but it works very well even to the point of setting your desktop up the same way on the new computer.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...november12.mspx
That link should help with making the switch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users