Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:58 AM
2 months ago, I installed a VoIP softphone on my PC. Everything works fine. I was able to call out. Recently because of some application bugs, I restore my harddisk using Acronis True image that was backup in Nov. I updated everything. I reinstalled the VoIP softphone. I was able to login. But when I dialled a number, it shows on my screen that the other party phone is connected and ringing. But in actual fact, the phone didn't ring at all. I run a chkdsk and certain files etc were repaired. I uninstalled and reinstalled the softphone. The same problem exists. Can someone please let me know is there other settings/registry that I need to be changed.