Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hover Over Start Menu Freezes Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:13 AM

Ok so I got a customers computer in today for a virus removal.

I got all the malware out just fine, but it seems that any time I press the start menu, the system will lock up, no response forever. CTRL ALT DEL does not respond, nothing responds, I let it sit over an hour and it never responded. Forces me to reset the system, boot back up, but as soon as I hit the start menu and hover over "all programs, etc...." it will lock again.

I tried a repair install, sfc /scannow, chkdsk /r /f using GUI with the hard drive attached to another computer. No result.

So I reformatted completely, installed windows again, and bam, SAME problem, even after a format. The first thing that came to mind is that it is a RAM problem.
So I ran Memtest and it found no errors, I ran a PC Doctor Hard drive test, it passed 100%.

It does the same thing in safe mode.

I have reformatted and re-installed windows 2 times now with the same issue. What could it be? It cannot be software related since I did a full format after each Windows Install!!

It is a custom build pc with an Intel P4, Abit mobo, 1GB ram, and XP Pro.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 20 February 2008 - 05:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dark messenger

dark messenger

• Members
  • 1,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:29 AM

Im not 100% sure, but isnt it possible for some malware to survive a reformat?

#3 Gryphonic

Gryphonic

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:53 AM

Sorry...only suggestion is to remove power and remove/replace lithium battery before next complete reformat....otherwise new hdd. There has to be a simpler answer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:10 AM

I guess that I would have used the manufacturer's diagnostic...if I was concerned about the status of the hard drive and chkdks /r did not find anything.

Louis

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 02:04 AM

So far, I have now used 2 different hard drives, so that is not the issue.

2 different XP installations... XP Pro Retail and XP Pro OEM (both legally issued to me from my work)
I have installed each version of XP about 3 times each.

Even memtest86 showed no errors, I still replaced all of the system RAM with brand new RAM.

Reset all CMOS settings.

This is literally the strangest problem I have ever run into and I have been doing PC repair professionally for over 2 years now.

The only pieces of hardware that I have not checked are the mobo, and the CD-ROM.
Since Xp installs successfully with no missing files each time, I am doubtful that it is the CD-ROM.

This leaves the MOBO, in terms of hardware, now how in the world could a mobo cause the computer to freeze while hovering over the start menu in WINDOWS...
The issue seems software related, I do not see (besides ram, or hdd) how the issue could be related to hardware.

I am literally stumped and I have escalated the issue to our regional technician, not sure how much else he can do though.

Oh boy.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:12 AM

This could be a driver issue - have you checked in Task Manager and Event Viewer for errors related to these freezes? Have you ensured that you have all the appropriate drivers loaded? Does it behave this way in Safe Mode?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:00 PM

This could be a driver issue - have you checked in Task Manager and Event Viewer for errors related to these freezes? Have you ensured that you have all the appropriate drivers loaded? Does it behave this way in Safe Mode?

Yes, it behaved that way in safe mode.

It was not worth a $50 diagnostic fee so we returned the customers money, plus the backup we did not charge for. That is the ONLY time, in 3 years of doing PC repair that I had to give a refund and was stumped.

I totally forgot about this thread and sorry for not responding a long time ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users