Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rebellion534

rebellion534

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

Hello everyone, I would like to ask something about two modems that i have,
so i just got my hand into an old computer, i've found out that it has two modems
the other one is called VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter, I think it is built in the motherboard,
the other one is called Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC which is a PCI thing.
can you give me some suggestion, which is better to use? and faster?
i been trying to understand each modem's specification, but im having some problem to understand those megabytes per second things.

any suggestion would really be appreciated. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:05 AM

These are Network Interface Cards (also knows as a NIC or ethernet adapter)- used to connect to an ethernet network.
A modem is something else: its a device (modulator/demodulator) that allows computer information to be sent over a telephone line.

You are right in that that you only need to use one of them, and I would lean towards the Realtek for a few reasons:
1. I personally havent heard of the VIA before (although I'm no guru :thumbsup: ), and
2. judging by VIA's website they don't support it anymore,
3. for the VIA, you'll need to get the driver from a third-party source (or perhaps the computer manufacturer's website?)
4. Realtek is common enough that your OS probably has the drivers for it, pre-installed.

Unless you absolutely need that PCI slot for something else, I would stick with the Realtek.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

If you had tried to plug a phone wire into either of those two...you would have realized they are not modems. They cannot connect to a phone, which is the way that an ordinary modem is connected.

Do you have a cable or DSL internet connection? Do you use a router?

If so, that is what plugs into those two NICs, whichever you choose to use.

Neither is faster for Internet connectivity, they are both the same speed.

The only reason I can think of for having two:

a. The owner has DSL, which must connect to a NIC.

b. The owner also has a home network, which also connects via ethernet.

c. The onboard NIC doesn't work properly and hence...the need for a second NIC.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 February 2008 - 10:31 AM.

#4 rebellion534

rebellion534
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:28 PM

im sorry if i confused you about the modem things, yes i have a seperate modem which is connected to those cards. anyway, i've decided to use the PCI NIC, thank you for the suggestion. it help me a lot and brightened my mind :thumbsup:

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:51 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users