Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Noise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hickory Jim

Hickory Jim

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hello,
New to the forum.
I am having a problem with my modem. I recently upgraded my computer with new motherboard , memory, new Athlon 64 Dual core processor. I am running XP home. My problem is that my modem (also new an Agere V92) creates sound over my pc surround speakers. Despite having made all the changes possible. I.E modem speaker off volume slide to off and adding an additional string to the modem string ( ATM0) I cannot stop the modem from making noise while dialing. I am using a n Force 4M-A Motherboard. NVidia GForce 7300 GT Display adapter, RealTek AC 97 on board audio. N Vidia nForce Networking controller, Agere Systems PCI Soft modem. I at one time and only one time I was able to access modem through Network Connections by right clicking and then under modem unticking modem speaker and then tried to dial into the WEB and this one time only got no modem noise through the speakers. But as soon as I rebooted the next time I was right back to where I started and ever since that first time have been unable to mute the modem. Even following the above noted method. Can anyone offer me some help?

Jim

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:53 PM

Try moving the modem to a different slot on the motherboard
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Hickory Jim

Hickory Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:58 PM

Switching modem to a different slot makes no difference! Here's another thing I have noticed. When setting up the modem through the control panel modem screen. When I set the speaker to off and volume to off I click okay. However the apply button never becomes highlighted so I can click apply! Does that make sense to anyone? Jim

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:22 PM

Keep looking, there's another setting overriding the control panel applet, might be in device manager or the actual software configuration, if you loaded some, been a long long time since I had to disable the modem sound, but then I liked to keep the
sound enabled so I could troubleshoot connection/handshake problems.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:19 PM

You say that you added the ATM0 string to the modem?

That does it, normally.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/tutorial/arti...all-modem-noise

If that did not work, I would uninstall the modem and reinstall...it's not working properly.

Louis

#6 Hickory Jim

Hickory Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

Yes I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem three times.I used several methods to be sure to get everything! Updated software/drivers from Agere site. Used Microsoft update after that as well. And added the ATM0 string. Nothing will stop the noise. I even changed out my sound device with a new sound card disabling the on board AC97 sound system. The new sound card works no differently as far as the modem is concerned. My next attempt will be a new modem of another brand. Hope that will stop the noise. Of course I can use the mute button and stop all sounds but I rely on some sounds and need them.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:59 PM

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ce_my_modem.htm

try both these options, those at commands are tricky and vary by modem

when in doubt ask a mvp
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 Hickory Jim

Hickory Jim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 02:21 PM

Thanks all,

Still trying different things but nothing has of yet changed a thing. I know I should be on Satellite or some other ISP but they are limited out here in the country and $70.00 per month seems a bit high to me to get faster service.

Jim

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

A new modem doesn't cost $70 a month :thumbsup: and will probably be more reliable than the onboard modem. Either internal (cheaper) or external (easier for some).

Sometimes in ComputerLand, especially with NICs, modems, and USB...the simplest/best solution is to just buy a replacement or additional hardware item.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users