Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Dead Mobo?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:40 PM

When i try to start my computer it stays on a black screen and never shows anything for the POST or boot menu. I hear 1 beep when it starts and all the fans start up but thats about it. I have tried swapping video cards, and using a different monitor but theres no change. Does anyone know of a good way to test for a bad mobo?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

Bump?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:23 AM

Is the cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner (of the black screen)?

Louis

#4 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:12 PM

No, there is nothing on the screen... not even the POST

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:02 PM

Well...did you try a different video card AND a different monitor?

That would be useful info, I think.

A different PS?

I hardly ever jump to the conclusion that a motherboard might even be bad...until I have systematically ruled out just about every other piece of hardware that is of some importance.

Louis

#6 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

I tried different video cards, and monitors... I dont have another PSU that i can use to test that has enough power for my video card though... I dont think its the PSU cause all of the fans start up, and it beeps once

Edited by XxThegr81xX, 20 February 2008 - 05:08 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:13 PM

What kind of motherboard is it? The best way to test for a bad board is to swap in known good parts. If the computer beeps once and fails post its likely a memory problem. Depending on the type of beep. 1 short or 1 long.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:26 PM

Its 1 short beep

I'm using a EVGA nforce4 590 SLI mobo... I will try using different RAM then update this thread

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 12:56 AM

Hello, XxThegr81xX.
  • First, lets start with the obvious. If the CMOS is shorted with a jumper on some boards, they do not boot. Check for any "CLRCMOS" or "Clear" jumpers on the board and switch them. If there is no change in the board's behavior, then reset the jumper to its starting positon.
  • Pull out the battery on the board and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Plug that batt back in and then try.
    Posted Image
  • Unplug your power supply from the board using the 20 or 24pin connector. We are going to manually try to start the supply. Bend a paper clip out, so that it can short two adjacent pins on the power connector. You need to short the GREEN wire with an adjacent BLACK wire. You can follow the instructions here. If the PSU fan does not start when shorting those wires, the PSU is dead.
  • Next, pull out the DIMMS one at a time, seeing if each boots. Try different combinations, switching them, etc. Finally, try it with no ram at all.
    Please note any beep codes you recieve and post them as a reply.
    Posted Image
  • Next look for some bulged/busted caps on the motherboard. If you see any, espcially near the cpu power regulators or the main power connector, you have a bad board.
    See this article http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/.
  • Also, look for any visible signs of damage to the southbridge (the northbridge is usually covered with a heatsink). It is located directly below the ram and directly forward of the expansion busses (i.e. pci, agp, pci-x, pcie, etc)
    Here is what a southbridge looks like:
    Posted Image
  • Finally, pull off the CPU heatsink and look for any visible signs of burning or melting components, or physical damage. Pull off the CPU and make sure no pins are bent, and that the ZIF socket is in good working condition (unless you have an LGA socket, in that case make sure the clamp is fastened down tight).
  • Please post your results as a reply.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:33 PM

So i'm starting to think my motherboard has a mind of its own... I got home today, and decided to try to get to the bottom of the problem, so I try turning it on... and it works, i dont know for how long though... I didn't do any changes to it, or swap any parts... i just turned it on

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

WOW 2 Advisors and a MOD.. Lol :thumbsup: It could have been a loose memory module.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 XxThegr81xX

XxThegr81xX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Well... my motherboard has acted up before... about 2-3 weeks ago it decided to just start failing the POST... then after 3 days it started passing it with no changes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users