Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss Of Sound After System Reboot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ndarwich

ndarwich

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

Hello, this is my first time posting and I would like to say this website is very informative and helpful. Thanks a lot

Anyways, after following the tutorials and whatnot, I discovered the only way to disinfect my computer from the trojans, worms, spyware, ect. (I had a nasty case of the Vundo Trojan Virus) was to do a system reformat. I did a hard, destructive reformat following the instructions from the CD. I have reinstalled Microsoft Office and my antivirus program. Everything seems to be running, however, it appears that I lost sound. My speakers are on with power however, there is no sound and my computer says no audio device found. I have an Emachines T6524 with Windows XP Media Center Edition with the provided analog speakers. I have no idea what to do.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

After performing a restore, some of your device drivers are not installed. Drivers are the pieces of software that allow hardware (sound cards, video cards, etc) to be used properly with your computer.

Drivers for things like keyboards and monitors are typically included in windows so they do not need to be installed, but many things like sound cards, network cards, video cards need to be installed.

To get your drivers go to http://www.emachines.com/support/product_s...amp;model=T6524

Your sound card driver is here... http://downloads.emachines.com/drivers/aud...o_5_10_5830.zip

To check and see if all your drivers are installed correctly, go to the control panel and double click on "system"
Click the hardware tab, and select "device manager"
Here is a list of all connected hardware that windows detected, you will probably see some devices with a yellow exclamation mark next to them. These are the devices that do not have drivers installed.
Refer to the above link to download all appropriate drivers for your system.

#3 ndarwich

ndarwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Wow, thanks a lot. I'm at work right now, so I'll have to try that when I get home. Anyways you said some things like the keyboard and mouse are built right in to the Windows cd, but some things aren't. Other than the speaker driver, are there any other drivers I ought to download such as video card, network card, ect? Also, if I download all those drivers from that link, I should be safe, right even if I already have some like the keyboard built in?

Thanks.

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

It is safe to install all the drivers provided by emachines AS LONG as you have not changed any hardware in your system. If you have changed any hardware, for example, if you changed your video card, you will need to get those appropriate drivers since they were not originally shipped with your pc.

Typically I need to install usb SMbus drivers, modem, video, sound, and network drivers in most cases. Sometimes not all of them, sometimes more.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

You should always have at least one valid/working set of drivers for your system...on CD...for situations where you may need to reinstall such and won't have access to the Internet.

I suggest you download all drivers & manuals pertinent to your system...and burn same to CD...and place in a safe place where it can be used in the future.

Louis

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

You should always have at least one valid/working set of drivers for your system...on CD...for situations where you may need to reinstall such and won't have access to the Internet.

I suggest you download all drivers & manuals pertinent to your system...and burn same to CD...and place in a safe place where it can be used in the future.

Louis

Very good tip! :thumbsup:

in my opinion, he was lucky to have network access after the format without installing the NIC drivers.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

I think that XP has a fair supply of network drivers for systems from boxmakers (HP, Gateway, etc.) because that facilitates activation by customers and reduces aggravation...but it's another story where the user/owner has installed additional/alternative hardware.

I keep all drivers, programs, and utilities that I might use again...on a separate hard drive used for storage. I find hard drives are now the most perfect way of storing large numbers of files and backups, in spite of the "let's burn" CD/DVD craze :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 ndarwich

ndarwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:05 PM

Okay, amazing. I'll download all those files, save them to my desktop, then burn them to a cd or maybe put them on a flash drive. I haven't done any modifications to my computer. This is great guys. Now all I got to do is figure out how to install the drivers...

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,836 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:15 PM

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

The procedure for installing is basically the same as updating. The exception will be that XP normally will prompt for the install of drivers when it detects hardware after its initial boot.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 19 February 2008 - 06:17 PM.

#10 ndarwich

ndarwich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

So, exactly which driver do I update? There is a list of them...

Update: Sorry, I just hit install from the file and it seemed to work. I am going to restart now and see what happened.

Thanks a lot again

Edited by ndarwich, 19 February 2008 - 09:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users