Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home / Processor Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kevb8ll

kevb8ll

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:35 AM

This question is about XP, but it relates to the processor.

I want to upgrade my processor but have been informed that my xp might not work afterwards as I'm effectively putting it onto a new computer.

I tried ringing Microsoft, but were as much use as a trap door in a canoe.

It is an OEM version and I'm still on SP1 - can't make the jump yet!!

The motherboard is an ASRock K7VM2 motherboard.

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Kev
I don't do silly signature things - not since my Karma ran over my Dogma!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 12:28 PM

Processor replacement should be OK. Windows activation depends on a number of "yes votes" and replacing a processor shouldn't change the machine enough to be a problem. Replacing the motherboard is another story.

At the very worst, you might have to call MS to reactivate. For more info regarding product activation, take a look here

#3 kevb8ll

kevb8ll
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2005 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the reply. I understand the 7 yes vote - but the notes indicate there are x2 OEM versions which would result in different things happening on an upgrade. How do I find out which type of OEM I've got - bearing in mind Microsoft wouldn't tell me!!

Kev
I don't do silly signature things - not since my Karma ran over my Dogma!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users