Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Start Up Page Then Flash Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 minnieskirts

minnieskirts

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

I have a laptop that isn't working for me. It worked fine at night then the next morning nada. I have only had this laptop a month and a half and bought it refurbished.
I did not have any symptoms or clue that there was a problem before this happened. I know this is going to make me sound really stupid, but I don't know what malware even is.
I don't have any operating systems disk as that was already on it when I got it. I can get a copy of windows xp though from another family member.
I can get to the screen that asks me to reboot in the safe mode. When I rebooted in safe mode with prompts it came up with about 40-50 lines that all started with:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\.
On the first three lines the endings are:
ntoskrnl.exp, hall.dll, kdcon.dll
After that is very quickly flashed a blue screen that I could not read because it was too quick. Then it went back to the beginning and cycled over.

When I let it go to start windows normally, there was a white line across the bottom of the page and then it went to a black screen with the windows xp logo on it. After about 20 seconds on that page with the little progress bar(under the windows xp logo) acting like its loading it goes to a flash of the blue page and then off and recycle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I go take it into a shop and have them fix it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:12 PM

It seems that you cannot boot into safe mode which means we cannot make the blue screen stay on the screen to diagnose it.

If you cannot get into safe mode, there are a couple options since you cannot diagnose the blue screen.

If the computer was working fine before you did the restore, then it "most likely" is not a hardware issue, but its good to be sure.
First, try running a memory test http://www.memtest.org/download/2.00/memtest86+-2.00.iso.zip
Here is instructions on how to use the tool. http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/H...s/memtest86.htm

You may also want to perform a hard drive test which will be provided per your specific hardware manufacturer.

Since you JUST performed a restore and there is probably no important data on your drive, you may want to re-install windows. Just be sure to format the drive, do not leave the current file system intact when you get to that option in setup. A repair install would also work, but a full clean install is what I suggest since you seem to have no important data on the drive.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users