Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7 & Live Messenger Updates.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:42 AM

While looking for a codec download on Filehippo I noticed there were updates for IE7 and Live Messenger. After checking I found they were newer versions than mine. I never thought to check for updates to these two programs before assuming that like Firefox they would notify me when an update became available.

The versions on my PC are IE7 = version 7.0.5730.11
while Live Messenger = version 8.1 (Build 8.1.0178.00)

I would like to know the correct procedure for installing the latest versions ie should I uninstall the old ones first or do they load on top of one another?. Also will I have to redo my personal settings etc?.

Thirdly do these programs unlike Firefox not notify users when updates become available or do they and somehow I have missed them.

My PC is set to notify me of MSN updates but I will choose when to install.

Thanks in advance again.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

Hi bluesjunior,

When I tried IE7 I just downloaded it. I think that it just kind of shoves IE6 off to one side and takes it's place. If you have XP and have your machine set to Automatically check for updates I'm surprised that you haven't been over run with notices about the IE7 update being available... I was.

I think that when I had tried it it had just moved in and taken over keeping all of my favorites and other settings just like they were in IE6.

Lots of people don't like IE7 and I think it still has some issues in Vista. I got rid of it the same day that I got it and IE6 just automatically came back to life.

I can't tell you anything about that Windows messenger thingy though as I have never used it, however, I think that it should have an update feature kind of built into it. If it doesn't then the download page should tell you if you need to turn off or un-install any older versions before going ahead with the install of the newer version.

Good luck

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users