Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Right Click Start Menu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:26 AM

I have moved 'My Documents' to another drive and done a bit of tweaking and now I find that when I right-click Start and then click Open I get the Start Menu of 'Default user' and not of my own user. I don't know where and when things went wrong but I'm sure it can be fixed by changing the Registry somewhere. Anyone ...?
United we stand, divided we fall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

When you log in, are you logging in under the Default User account?

Open up the task manager, and click the "Users" tab and see what account you are logged in as.

#3 Da.One

Da.One

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'm pretty sure the registry key you are looking for is:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders.

As you can see in the values, they point to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu.

First of all though, check to see that the account you are looking for still exists with its settings. If it does, change the values in the registry key above to C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Start Menu

Edited by Da.One, 19 February 2008 - 06:16 PM.

#4 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:14 AM

lowtec otc

Under User tab in Task Manager is nothing wether I'm logged in as myself or another user.

Da.One

The following keys pointed to Default User:
Administrative tools
Programs
SendTo
Start Menu
Startup
Templates

I changed all of them to <myusername> and only the Admin Tools stayed that way after a reload. The other five reverted back to Default User. It seems to me that these keys are set att login to whatever user logs in. In my wife's account they all pointed to <herusername>. There must some other place in the registry where the changes need to be made for this to work, or ...?

#5 Da.One

Da.One

• Banned
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

I've found this key here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

You can see that the values dont list a specific username, but %USERPROFILE%. The computer would use this key to load the start menu of which ever user is logged on, in this case it should be your user, but it isn't.

This tells me that your user profile (or atleast your start menu profile) may not exist anymore, thus the computer reverts to "Default User".

To check if your start menu profile still exists, open up windows explorer and navigate to:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Start Menu

If it says file not found etc, then obviously your profile is gone. If it is there proceed to the next step.

After checking that your start menu still exists, you may want to try to change the values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

from "%USERPROFILE%" to your username.

Edited by Da.One, 20 February 2008 - 12:08 PM.

#6 Hans Strahle

Hans Strahle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:08 PM

The Administrative Tools, SendTo, Start Menu, Startup, Templates keys in User Shell Folders had Default User in them. I changed the Start Menu key from %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\Default User\Start Menu to %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu and it now works. I suppose the other four should be changed as well. Thanks for your help!

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Please do not cruise around the registry making changes which may not be good for your system.

The Default User account is an essential part of the Windows Operating system and is used to create new accounts (along with links to the All Users account).

If your account has become corrupted, it's easier to create a new account and move your stuff over to the new account from the corrupted account by using the information at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

In the event that you cannot create a new account (or, if it doesn't function properly), I'd have to suggest a repair install of Windows. If you have Internet Explorer 7 installed, read this link first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 Then follow the instructions at this link: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users